Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cops were over late last night. I still don't understand why.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 4 Replies

Friday our 22 yr old son was working at his internship for school.  I did a little food shopping.  Our son got home a little after 4pm.  We were talking about what dinner will be. Then was talking about some new food service store GFS.  You don't need a membership to shop at.  He says lets go see what they got.   We were thinking stuff for the freezer for the holidays.  Come home.  Made dinner.  Cleaned up the dinner dishes.  Told dh going across the street to the bar for a couple beers.   Holler upstairs.  James you wanna go have a beer with me.  No.  Feeling extra tired tonight.  Got homework to catch up on.   Ok.  I'll be back later.  Had 3 beers. Came home around 10:30pm.  Went in our bedroom to watch tv a while. 11:30pm turned off tv rolled over to go to sleep. A little after midnight dh came to bed.  We both just got in a sound sleep. 

It was just before 1am.  Dh nudges me.  Says someones banging on the front door.  I said I'm not dressed.  I'm not answering it.  That late wasn't sure who was out there.  I go yell upstairs. Hey James go see who is at the door.  Someone is banging on it.  I'm afraid to find out who's there.  He goes in the living room.  Loudly says.  Who's out there.  No one answers back.  He says no one is there.  Then the knocking comes again.  He see's through the small door window it's a cop.  He opens the door.  Says what's up.  Cop says are you James ---  ? Yeah.   Is this your cell phone.   No.  You sure?  Yeah not my phone.   At this point I put on something to cover up with.  I go to the door.  See the phone the cop had.  In the dark of the porch.  I thought maybe it was mine.  That I dropped it somewhere.  I go look. No mine is still sitting on my computer desk.  I knew it was not our sons phone.  His has an odd color battery cover.  That doesn't match the phone.  His phone is about 4yrs old.  It's pretty scratched up.   This one looked in good condition.   Then the cop says Were you at the gas station today?  Ummm No.  You sure?  Yeah I was not at the gas station today.   Cop says. Oh sorry for bothering you's so late.  We both went back to bed.   I am just wondering if that phone belong to a friend of our sons.   Why would a cop ask for him by name. When the phone is not his.  Could his name of been in that phone as one of the contacts.  The cop just never told him.    Damn.  James has been working very hard at getting his life in order.  He's doing well in school.  He works a pt job to cover his bills.  Works a internship unpaid as part of his degree for credits.  He's not been going out much hanging with his friends.   When he's not at school, work or the internship.  He's at home doing homework or just messing on his computer. 

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Ashley_Carlson
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Sounds sketchy to me...

1likeme
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Well there may have been something on the phone that they were investigating. It sounds like a fishing expedition by the officer. You sound very defensive about the whole thing.
hautemama83
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:01 PM
You can always call, or go to the police station and ask if you're that concerned. It's likely the officer was simply investigating something on the phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Our son, dh and I were just discussing this.  He said it was 2 cops outside.  He said the cop gave him the 3rd degree.  Asked him a few times is this your phone. Were you at the gas station.  Then right around the time the cops came over.  Our son said there were 2 calls to his cell phone. Come up unavailable all like a minute a part or less.  He says maybe the cops called him. He never heard the phone ring. No voicemail left.  Dh said maybe one of your buddies robbed the gas station or something bad happened.  Your name appeared in the persons  phone directory.   I said you need to call up any friends from around here.  You had not seen or talked to in a long while.  See what's up.  Maybe one of them did something.  Now our son is creeped out.  He says the cops seemed like they were investigating him.  He has witnesses to where he was all day from 8am Friday morning on til now.  That all day he sat next to his boss at the internship doing his work. The evening dh and I know he was up in his room. His car stayed parked all evening in the same spot and is in that spot now.   I told him to call the police dept.   See if they will tell him why they came to talk to him middle of the night.  That if it was to return a lost or stolen phone. They'd of called to say come in the morning and get it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)