Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This year, I'm keeping the CHRIST in Christmas.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM
  • 29 Replies
4 moms liked this
This may have been shared already but if not, enjoy. :)

This year, I am keeping CHRIST in CHRISTmas! : atheism

A friend on Facebook just reminded me that we should be keeping CHRIST in CHRISTmas!

I completely agree! It drives me crazy when people forget to honor their god on the occasion named for him. I mean, look at the word! His name's right there at the beginning!

So this year, I'm very serious about keeping Christmas for Christ!

But I don't want to forget about all of those other gods!

I'm also keeping January for Janus, the Roman god of doors and gates.

And February for Februus, the Roman god of purification.

And March for Mars, the Roman god of war.

And April for Aphrodite, the Greek god of love and beauty.

And May for Maia, the Italic goddess of spring and flowers.

And June for Juno, Roman goddess of marriage, and protector of the state.

And July for Julius Caesar, believed to be the descendant of a goddess.

And August for Augustus Caesar, upon his death was officially declared a god by the senate, to be worshiped by all Romans.

I'm keeping Sunday for the sun, worshiped as a god throughout history.

And Monday for the moon, also worshiped for thousands of years.

And Tuesday for Tiu, the Germanic god of war.

And Wednesday for Woden, chief of the Angelo-Saxon gods.

And Thursday for Thor, the Norse god of Thunder.

And Friday for Freya, the Norse goddess, leader of the Valkyrie.

And Saturday for Saturn, the Roman god of agriculture.

And while we're talking about holidays, let's make sure we keep ฤ’ostre, the Germanic goddess of fertility, in Easter! After all, she's the reason we have eggs, bunnies, and chocolate!

So let's all make sure to remember Christ this Christmas, just like we remember all of those other gods on the occasions named for them! After all, Jesus is every bit as relevant as the rest of them!

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/mrpn8/this_year_i_am_keeping_christ_in_christmas/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morrigan914
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't believe anyone (okay maybe a few people) remember the god/goddess/important people the months and such are named after when they say them or write them. I don't care about Juno, Caesar, Saturn or any other ones anymore then I care about Christ. I'll keep my solstice solstice-y, thank you. xp

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM
I like this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Eh, I don't give a damn about anything except keeping gifts and presents in Christmas. That is what it is TRUELY about, after all.

two4one
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Very clever.

caito
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

HAHAHA

If you post it on FB the first part will only talk about Christ. So the Christians will probably think you're being serious.

Hold on, I just posted it. Lemme see how many of my Christian friends like it without reading the whole thing.

Amiehart62
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Your post made me smile:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Buggy979
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM
Happy Holidays
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2008mommy3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I am a Christian and I like this:)  All these Christians up in arms about saying Happy Holidays would do good to remember that Christmas was actually a Pagan holiday that was celebrated by raping, singing naked in the streets, human sacrafice, and getting drunk.  Christians converted the Greek Pagans and told them that it was to be celebrated in Christ's name and renamed to Christmas.  For the first few years it was still celebrated in the same way and eventually the worship of trees was converted to Christmas trees, the drunken naked singing in the streets was converted to caroling and so on.  Anyone that has read the Bible knows that Jesus was not born in December, much less Dec. 25th and no one truly celebrates it as His birthday anyway, it is all about celebration and presents.  Even Santa Claus is a Pagan thing.  So many Christians are celebrating it and celebrating a Pagan holiday that has nothing to do with Jesus and don't even realize it because they are just sheep following the flock and don't study their own religion themselves. 

AnnieMcD
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Teeheehee, I love you for this. Especially the bit about Eostre. I swear,100  out of 100 people I ask, do not know where the name for Easter came from. 

I take that as an opportunity to educate them. :o) 

MyraEllen
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm not 100% on Yule and Solstice and the other winter holidays, but I'm pretty sure raping wasn't involved.

As to the Christians taking over, you're right that they did take over the winter holidays. But not out of the goodness of their hearts. They just wanted to take over because they could.

Quoting 2008mommy3:

I am a Christian and I like this:)  All these Christians up in arms about saying Happy Holidays would do good to remember that Christmas was actually a Pagan holiday that was celebrated by raping, singing naked in the streets, human sacrafice, and getting drunk.  Christians converted the Greek Pagans and told them that it was to be celebrated in Christ's name and renamed to Christmas.  For the first few years it was still celebrated in the same way and eventually the worship of trees was converted to Christmas trees, the drunken naked singing in the streets was converted to caroling and so on.  Anyone that has read the Bible knows that Jesus was not born in December, much less Dec. 25th and no one truly celebrates it as His birthday anyway, it is all about celebration and presents.  Even Santa Claus is a Pagan thing.  So many Christians are celebrating it and celebrating a Pagan holiday that has nothing to do with Jesus and don't even realize it because they are just sheep following the flock and don't study their own religion themselves. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)