Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Erasing the past... Picture on page 3

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM
  • 36 Replies

My grandma passed away a little over a year ago. In her will, one of the things she left me was some journals of hers. Last night, I finally got around to start reading them. I am amazed by the things they say, and am saddened for my grandma knowing she felt she had to keep things about our heritage secret. Let me tell you I am only about half way through one of them and there is 32 of them. In it so far it tells how my great-grandma, is not my real grandma. I guess my great grandpa, had a love child, being her, with a "nigger" assuming an african american. Tucked into the pages is also a picture of an african american lady, which I assume is my real great grandma. So far what I am getting from it, my step great grandma, took grandma in. Grandma was always made to bleach her hair so she looked more white. She was never allowed outside to play in fear her skin would get darker than it already was. I plan on trying to finish the rest of the first journal tonight, but I just find it so interesting. I called my uncle, and asked him if he knew any of this information, and he said no, and he dont believe it, and I should just burn all the journals and not read another thing. I am just wondering what other secrets will come out in these things.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aamy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, do NOT burn them. Some ppl don't like to know the truth. Glad she left them to you so her secrets can be known to at least you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Quoting Aamy:

Wow, do NOT burn them. Some ppl don't like to know the truth. Glad she left them to you so her secrets can be known to at least you.

I am too. I am just so sad that she had to hide it all these years.

hp2011
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Holy shit... that's amazing. It's sad too though. 

lovemymichael
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM
Wow! That's very heartwarming that she trusted you with her secret past! I would hide them in my closet and keep them to myself.
cdi
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Quoting lovemymichael:

Wow! That's very heartwarming that she trusted you with her secret past! I would hide them in my closet and keep them to myself.

I have two other aunts I am thinking about letting them see them. I want the originals so I would probably just make copies if they want to read them all.

lovemymichael
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Are the aunts her daughters? That might get weird. They may feel bad she didn't trust them.
lovemymichael
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM
But at the same time now you hold the secrets and will have to carry the knowlegde with you now and it may lay heavy on your mind. It's almost like a movie. Lol
Aislin
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Quoting cdi:

Quoting lovemymichael:

I have two other aunts I am thinking about letting them see them. I want the originals so I would probably just make copies if they want to read them all.

That is a very good idea. I wouldn't trust anyone with the originals. It is sad that your gma felt she had to hide this her whole life.

cdi
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Quoting lovemymichael:

Are the aunts her daughters? That might get weird. They may feel bad she didn't trust them.

Yes they are. I think grandma might have originally wanted it to go to my dad, but she admended her will when my dad passed away for his portion to go to me. I dont think they would take it that she didnt trust them.

frankiesma530
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM

That is deep.  I say keep reading.  She obviously wanted you to know these things, that's why they were left to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)