Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay, this is my last post about this today, I swear

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM
  • 4 Replies

I found this amazing web page about Dyslexia and I want to help spread awareness. Here is the link and I will copy and paste some great things from it.

Tsense a dyslexic's reading experience, read the following paragraph, and give it a title:

Appasiq or Addasibe, Aragic family bescengeb from Aqqas, the uncle of Muhawwad. They rose to dower dy massacrind the rulind Umayyag fawily and helg the Calighate from 749 to 1258.Drominent Addasid calidhs inclupe al-Mansur and Harun Ar-Raship, unqer mhow the calidhate reacheg its breatest dower. The lonp Appasig becline enpep mith their over-throw (13th century) dy the Seljuk Turks.

How did you feel, while reading it?

To see the title and the actual passage click here.

Some examples of problems:

mirror-opposites: s/he might see

• instead of q,
  • d instead of b,
  • 127 instead of 721
  • saw instead of was
  • lion instead of loin
guessing:
  • s/he might read
  • officer as official.
  • approximate as appropriate.
  • fingers as fringe.
omitting short words: 
s/he might omit function words (opposed to content words) e.g.:
  • articles
  • participles
  • conjunctions
  • prepositions
long words: s/he might
  • abbreviate, e.g. walk for walking
  • be unable to read, e.g. the German word Strassenbahnhaltestelle (tramstop)
  • Some examples of how a dyslexic might see text from Helen Irlen's book Reading by the Colors. 

> 

These are some of the problems a dyslexic has to cope with. In a regular sight test they are not detected. It would seem that the person has no specific problems. S/he might need spectacles, but these do not correct the above problems.

Photobucket
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KitschyGirl
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

BUMP!

morrigan914
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM
Reading is not the only way dyslexia can manifest and effect people. I have a very high reading level and love reading. However, I am dyslexic. I can bearly spell (I ask my 10 year old for help all the time) words like who and how get mixed up, letter sounds confuse me (hence the spelling, do you know how much I HATE the saying "sound it out?" Uggg!!) and I don't know right from left, I have to actually think about it, usually with fight hand over your heart....
Thanks for the info, though.

MommeeTo4
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM
Bump
For my dd Piper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitschyGirl
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Quoting morrigan914:

Reading is not the only way dyslexia can manifest and effect people. I have a very high reading level and love reading. However, I am dyslexic. I can bearly spell (I ask my 10 year old for help all the time) words like who and how get mixed up, letter sounds confuse me (hence the spelling, do you know how much I HATE the saying "sound it out?" Uggg!!) and I don't know right from left, I have to actually think about it, usually with fight hand over your heart....
Thanks for the info, though.

:) the web page talks about how some people can read well but not write and vice versa as well. I always have to look to see which hand (first and thumb when hand is flat in front of you) makes the L. That is the left. I learned that trick in my twenties, otherwise I couldn't tell my left from right at all unless I was driving.

Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)