Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why MUST children get gifts for Christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM
  • 99 Replies

Every year around November, for the past 5 years I have been around CM these same posts pop up.

I can't get my kids a xmas gift.

I can't give my kids a  good xmas.

Why can't you afford to get your kids Xmas gifts.

Why do kids NEED xmas gifts?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doomshroom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I feel the same way. I'm going to try to seriously downplay the whole "being showered with gifts on Xmas just because it's Xmas" thing. My son's due this month, but as he gets older, I don't want him to grow up expecting to get everything he wants for Xmas and Birthdays, just because it's a holiday. I mean, sure, I'm gonna get him stuff, but it's not all about presents. I think a lot of kids don't appreciate enough.

Lilcountrygrl86
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Because as a kid, christmas is all about fun and the surprise of opening gifts. I want my kids to enjoy it while they can, cause once your a parent or an adult its more stressful than it is fun. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing my babies faces light up opening their gifts. But its not all about fun anymore, you realize what all goes into it as an adult.

Kes1s
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:11 PM

EXACTLY

and at that, why do I have to spend money on cheap bits of cardboard with crappy candy taped to them that will be looked at as long as it takes to strip off the candy hearts or lollipop and then chucked in the bin as soon as junior gets home; every february or otherwise I'm some mean curmudgeon of a parent.

Yeah, we got away with the non candy clad home mades in kinder, but about 2nd - 3rd the box card competition starts and my kid would probably be excommunicated from his circle of peers for being dorktastic and trying to give them a handprint heart instead of a roll of smarties.

pinkanfgrl
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Quoting Lilcountrygrl86:

Because as a kid, christmas is all about fun and the surprise of opening gifts. I want my kids to enjoy it while they can, cause once your a parent or an adult its more stressful than it is fun. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing my babies faces light up opening their gifts. But its not all about fun anymore, you realize what all goes into it as an adult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607

Of course it's not a need....but I would think any child who was left out(obviously this only imcludes kids that celebrate xmas) would be very sad to not get anything for xmas.

There are tons of kids who don't get anything for xmas because they don't celebrate it...and of course thats just not that big a deal.

I.heart.my.kids

My oldest understands that he will get what he gets, he can give us a list of everything in the world that he wants But in the end he gets what he gets.

For the little ones we refuse to allow them to think they are going to get tons and tons of gifts and everything on their list. They too as they get older will get what they get.

Steve (ds1 15 y/o) understands that he gets things through out the year that he boths needs and wants and if he needs anything around Xmas time he will most likely get his needs and no wants.

Quoting doomshroom:

I feel the same way. I'm going to try to seriously downplay the whole "being showered with gifts on Xmas just because it's Xmas" thing. My son's due this month, but as he gets older, I don't want him to grow up expecting to get everything he wants for Xmas and Birthdays, just because it's a holiday. I mean, sure, I'm gonna get him stuff, but it's not all about presents. I think a lot of kids don't appreciate enough.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it comes with the story of the Nativity scene where gifts were brought for the baby Jesus. So some people think of Christmas as a time of gift giving. But some people do take it to extreme.

I.heart.my.kids
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM

do you have a certain number of gifts that you give or do you buy what ever you want for them

Quoting Lilcountrygrl86:

GagaNTattooS
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:17 PM
Aren't we suppose to give kids everything we had as kids and more......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Because its fun and I love doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)