Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AM I in the wrong for feeling like this or is the teacher, your opinions wanted please

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM
  • 54 Replies

So because of my hubbys job not paying (he was a trucker till recently and only getting about 250 a week) we lost everything, had to move in with DHs parents and I had a family emergency that took me and my kids out of state at the beginning of the school year till recently.

Here where Im at the cutoff date for kindergarden is Dec. 2nd which means my son starts this year at 4 1/2. Hes not ready. I have no other options though, no daycare will take him cause hes school age, no preschool will take him because hes school age and there are no programs that I can find anywhere that are school based like he needs.

So I had to start him this last monday, 4 months late in to the school year. Understandably so the teacher is not happy. My son needs speech though and I can't even get that unless hes in school because the only speech therapist in town quit and went into the school district.

My problem is the teachers attitude. When I try to talk to her her attitude basically says "Go away I don't care", every day I go to pick him up its the same thing, he was bad again today, hes wearing me out, (I think hes adhd and she says hes not but yet she can't keep him in his seat and I can see that shes not even trying to help him with his work). I had him evaluated for speech on friday and her exact response was "hes normal, its a developement thing, I don't know why you even bothered its unnecessary...".  with a your a stupid parent attitude.

Now I see that shes not happy to have my child join her class so late and be so behind, I get it, Im working with him at home every day to help him, I ask her if she can give some extra assignments from the beginning of the year or whatever she thinks might help so I can help him get up to where the class is and she won't, I am doing everything in my power to make the best of this situation and to help my son but I don't think she cares and It shows.

What do you think and what would you do in this situation? Pulling him out and having him sit at home is not going to happen, Im starting school in january and since the daycares and preschools won't take him I have to leave him in, plus its the only way to expose him and prepare him for next year so that he won't get held back next year (yes I know he will get held back this year, thats obvious but like I said, he just turned 5 on Nov. 22nd so hes young and its okay for this year).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its bizzare that no daycare or preschool will take him. I would not keep sending mine if he wasn't ready. Try the school board maybe they have suggestions.

TheMillerFamily
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I already have, the only option I got from them was to try Heritage preschool and kindergarden but its a private thing and its very expensive, like 800 a month expensive for half day classes but its an extremely good school.

Every preschool and daycare here are only allowed to take non school aged children (don't know if its just my area or what) but I have called every child care center, every school, the school board and even talked to the welfare office and nothing.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I think its bizzare that no daycare or preschool will take him. I would not keep sending mine if he wasn't ready. Try the school board maybe they have suggestions.

TheMommaJessie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

talk to the principle and have them put your son in another class.

Ladywithtwo
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM
I think he's too young for kindergarden.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMillerFamily
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM

plus if I pull him out there is no way I can prepare him for school next year, with his personality he needs to be in some kind of school type program to help prepare him so he does't have such a hard time next year. Plus how am I going to go to school myself if I don't have anywhere to put him, we can't afford a babysitter thats why Im going to school.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Talk to the principal. My nieces teacher treated her like that and it took therapy to get her through the depression. Request a parent teacher conference with the principal because its clear he's being emotionally damaged from being treated like he's unwanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarotMommy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Are there any other K teachers? If so have him switched to another class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:13 PM

is there not a pre k program you can put him in instead

TheMillerFamily
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Im thinking the same thing, Im trying to wait till the end of this week though to see if anything changes plus winter break is coming up I dont know if it would be benificial to change him before hand.

But this gives me an idea, Ill call the principal and explain the situation and see what teacher he would go to so I could talk to them first

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

talk to the principle and have them put your son in another class.

TheMillerFamily
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM

he is to young but I have no options

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

I think he's too young for kindergarden.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)