Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's using the "Back to sleep" position & I'm scared!!! Help!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM
  • 68 Replies
My son is 2 days old and very alert. I mean he cocks and swings his head around to look into the eyes of the person talking to him and can sit his own head up by himself for a few more seconds than the average 2 day old. I watched and read a miilion things to prepare for his arrival but he's a 8 pounder and very chunky and when I placed him on his back he seemed to gasp and choke and spit up. My mother put him on his side and all of a sudden he was breathing with ease and didn't seem in any discomfort at all. I was taught how to take care of children when I was younger and at 13 I had my newphew to take care of. So I'm no rookie. But I'm afraid! When my mother,sister and father leaves for their busy schedules this week, if I lay him on his side (where he obviously breathes better on) if he turns over he can smother his little face! If he sleeps on his back he can't breathe as well as on his side at ease. Please put my mind at ease and tell me how can I do the best for my child when he doesn't breathe well the way many books and televsion baby shows have shown us "new moms" to do. I don't want to awake to a dead son :(
I love him so much!!

~Whadda kno It's a boy!~

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ljh
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM
6 moms liked this

Take him to the doctor.  It is NOT normal for him to be gasping and choking.  If your his doctor blows you off, go to another, until somebody addresses this concern.

pixxydust
4 moms liked this
Try the baby wedges that keep the baby from rolling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk

8 lbs is not a big baby. There's no reason he should be having trouble breathing on his back, unless there is something wrong with him. ALl newborns baby breathe in jerky and/or unregular patterns, and they move in jerky patterns also. There's also nothing wrong with them sleeping on their side.

mommaof2babiess

this!

good luck momma!

Quoting mom2ljh:

Take him to the doctor.  It is NOT normal for him to be gasping and choking.  If your his doctor blows you off, go to another, until somebody addresses this concern.

davnrori
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM

There's something called a Nap Nanny that may help in your situation. Check for it online, it's a little pricey but it will give you peace of mind and help your little one.

CutieBoysMommy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM

they sell positioner wedge things. i know it's not recomended but it's safer I guess than letting him struggle.

You could always ask the pediatrician

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
This. 8 lbs is average.

And if the baby is choking he needs to go to the dr. I put my baby to sleep in her bouncer for yhe first month lol

Quoting alwayskk:

8 lbs is not a big baby. There's no reason he should be having trouble breathing on his back, unless there is something wrong with him. ALl newborns baby breathe in jerky and/or unregular patterns, and they move in jerky patterns also. There's also nothing wrong with them sleeping on their side.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma

My son slept on his stomach from day one of life. Side sleeping is fine but what it sounds like you need to do is prop his mattress up so he is more inclined. He won't have problems like that. You also need to speak to a dr. about that gasping and choking. Could be a number of things, all of which are NOT good or normal.

momma2b2008
8 lbs. is not by any means a big baby. My daughter was 8lbs 15 oz at birth, and she doesn't have trouble breathing. Take him to the doc!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bknotnobody
2 moms liked this

I'm going to get bashed to all hell I'm sure but we let our little one sleep on his tummy and side, because he slept better that way.

He's 10 months old now, and okay. however he slept in our room, in a pack and play. I would wake up and panick.

If you're seriously concerned though, take the baby to the doctor and have your concerns listened to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)