Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

had a parent meeting at school bout it being Holiday party instead of Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
And as i waited my turn to speak i was slightly shocked by things being said. "That its unfair to my child who celebrates christmas" and its "un-American" there were those for it. they are differnt religions and dont celebrate Christmas. Now while i myself isnt christian i do celebrate Christmas my DH is.
so when it was my turn i said this,
"I understand why some people are upset about this but what it boils down to is respecr and tolerance. There are children here who don't celebrate Christmas and its not fair to them to feel so out of place where its such an easy fix. This is a public school not a private so it should be called Holiday. What harm does it do? It's not taking it away from your home or even the true spirt of the season. They arent banning people from speaking of Christmas just calling the party something differnt to include all walks of life. I want my children to learn to respect other people and thier religions and this is where it starts. Holiday is basically "Holy days" so it covers all of them. I hope you understand that no one is trying ti take Christmas away from you, just trying to include Everyone in the celebrations. Thank you and Happy Holidays."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JazzyMommyx3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allycally
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

LOL,, my mom had a Holy Cow cause they change christmas break to winter break on my little brother report card.....

magpie03
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Yay for you, momma! I could not have said it better myself.

momof52011
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM

What I don't get about this whole situation is why people can't say Merry Christmas if they believe in Christmas and Happy Holidays if they don't or whatever holiday they are celebrating? I wouldn't be offended if someone said Happy Solstice (not sure what Pagans call it :P) I'm not bashing at all by the way it's cool and everything to say Happy Holidays but I'd just never even heard of this debate until I came on cafemom. I guess England is officially a Christian country but where we live is incredibly multi-cultural and no one cares here!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

JazzyMommyx3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM
Thank you..i was hoping i didnt sound rude and wrote what i was gonna say ahead of time because sometimes my mouth runs away with my emotions lol

Quoting magpie03:

Yay for you, momma! I could not have said it better myself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM
I agree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aydensmommy0406
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Christmas is what I celebrate so I say Merry Christmas, Happy holiday's IMO is so impersonal. I do not feel offended though if someone says Happy Holiday's to me. At least they are being polite.

JazzyMommyx3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM
Im mostly concerened about in school than just in public..i dont get upset when someone say Merry Christmas to me when im out n about. But in school where there are children who dont celebrate Christmas it could make them feel left out and thats not fair in a place where they should all feel included. ( this is a elementry school so younger children who dont understand fully)

Quoting momof52011:

What I don't get about this whole situation is why people can't say Merry Christmas if they believe in Christmas and Happy Holidays if they don't or whatever holiday they are celebrating? I wouldn't be offended if someone said Happy Solstice (not sure what Pagans call it :P) I'm not bashing at all by the way it's cool and everything to say Happy Holidays but I'd just never even heard of this debate until I came on cafemom. I guess England is officially a Christian country but where we live is incredibly multi-cultural and no one cares here!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzyMommyx3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM
Which is fine in my book..i just dont feel a public school should be specific when its a diverse place with differnt religions and celebrations.

Quoting aydensmommy0406:

Christmas is what I celebrate so I say Merry Christmas, Happy holiday's IMO is so impersonal. I do not feel offended though if someone says Happy Holiday's to me. At least they are being polite.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metalhealthmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM
As someone who does NOT celebrate Christmas personally but has family who does, I appreciate when people use the term 'holiday.' however, I'm not upset if people use Christmas instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)