Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 week old kitten

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM
  • 26 Replies
We found a small kitten. It is soooo cute!

Anyway, what do we feed it??????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

You need to get some KMR (kitten milk replacer). You can get it in powder form but I personally like the cans that are already made up. Make sure you get a bottle from the pet store as well. But I will say that I prefer feeding with syringes. It is much easier so if you have a petsmart with a banfield that is open you might ask them for one or get the bottle and then call a vet and see if you can get a couple.   You will also have to stimulate the kitten to go to the bathroom. And make sure you feed him/her about every 3 hours. 

I need to add that you should keep the kitten on a heating pad as well. I keep it on low with a towel covering it. 

Rain2Rinse
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Pet stores are closed. What now? And how do I stimulate it to go? Rubbing it's tummy/bottom?

Quoting KyliesMom5:

You need to get some KMR (kitten milk replacer). You can get it in powder form but I personally like the cans that are already made up. Make sure you get a bottle from the pet store as well. But I will say that I prefer feeding with syringes. It is much easier so if you have a petsmart with a banfield that is open you might ask them for one or get the bottle and then call a vet and see if you can get a couple.   You will also have to stimulate the kitten to go to the bathroom. And make sure you feed him/her about every 3 hours. 

I need to add that you should keep the kitten on a heating pad as well. I keep it on low with a towel covering it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you live near a wal mart? They might have some.   When you stimulate the kitten take a paper towel damp with warm water and rub their bottom.  

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Pet stores are closed. What now? And how do I stimulate it to go? Rubbing it's tummy/bottom?

Quoting KyliesMom5:

dmw23
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Use a warm wet washcloth to stimulate their genitals and anus so the kitten can use the bathroom. they wont be able 2 go on their own at that age. you can get milk replacement for kittens and bottles at some grocery stores w good pet aisles like walmart and kroger. i found three 2 wk old kittens over the summer...it can be a lot of work bc they need fed and stimulated 4 bathroom ever 3 hours or so for now. i used a bottle and there are guidelines online about how much 2 feed. also definitely get a heating pad on low and put a towel over it for the kitten...their body needs to stay around 70 degrees i believe. thecatsite.com is a good resource for cat info and has threads about kitten care and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Thank you! DH will be running out to the store soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmw23
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Thank you! DH will be running out to the store soon.

How is the kitten doing today?

celestegood
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Go get a kitten bottle, and feed it kitten formula (kitten milk replacer).  You will have to feed on demand, and that means round the clock for weeks.  Probably every two hours.

KateLibertyGirl
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM

walmart definitely has some! I got a bunch from there when we found a kitten. 

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Do you live near a wal mart? They might have some.   When you stimulate the kitten take a paper towel damp with warm water and rub their bottom.  

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

lovinmykiddo07
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM

PLEASE, do not give it cow's milk! Make sure to get kitten formula, Wal Mart should have it. Is there a no-kill shelter close to you?

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I always found a small syring works better for feeding than those pet bottles. Especially if the kitten is tiny, always massage their belly after feeding. Keep kitty in a warm place. No cows milk. And if it seems to be very weak/dehydrated, can give a tiny dose of children's pedialyte mixed with a small amount of water.Call your vet to make sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)