Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you agree to be financially responsible for your husband for the next ten years?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM
  • 55 Replies

Like per a contract with the government. I had to for immigration reasons. He isn't allowed to recieve any type of PA and if he tried, I could literally be sued for enough money to pay to him so he wouldn't need it whether we were married or not.

Of course I would do it, and did, and didn't think much about it. Some of my family thinks I shouldn't have. I trust him though and I know that he is a hard worker and makes good money.  Would you do it?

Going to add a little more info.

Hubby doesn't have to work or keep an income at all. Neither do I. But he cannot rely on PA at all. So if we were to get divorced, and he couldn't sustain himself, i would be responsible for doing that for him.

I had to prove my income to be at least 125% above the poverty level and show my ability to keep it there or above long-term. My husband now works since he has gotten legal and makes good money, I go to school.

The bottom line is we cannot use PA and I must make sure of that for at least ten years. As his sole sponsor, it is my responsibility to keep him off PA and sustain our family (if he doesn't) until they are sure he can manage it on his own, which they believe to be about ten years.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmama411
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:01 AM

BUMP!

emmy526
by Emmy on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM

i guess if i had a decent job to where i could provide, then yes, i would.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM
4 moms liked this
I thought that was called

MARRIAGE.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM
I believe any wife should feel she may have to be responsible same as any man. I see no difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

MARRIAGE.

Yes, however even if say eight years down the road you get divorced, the contract still stands. The only thing to void the contract would be a death or he returns to his country.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:07 AM
Credit bureaus and other lenders hold both spouses equally responsible for debt.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

MARRIAGE.

Yes, however even if say eight years down the road you get divorced, the contract still stands. The only thing to void the contract would be a death or he returns to his country.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysp6637
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM

No, quite honestly, I would not.

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Yes, his is my husband for better or for worse and if I needed to do that I would.

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Oooh true!

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Credit bureaus and other lenders hold both spouses equally responsible for debt.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

MARRIAGE.

kathislove80
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Lol

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

MARRIAGE.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)