Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you call SO's parents?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM
  • 50 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you call SO's parents?

Options:

By their FIRST name

By their LAST name (Mr./Mrs.)

Mom/Dad

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

I'm having a debate with my mother.  We were talking about what my SO should call her.  I suggested by her first name.  After all, that's what my step-sisters husband calls her.  She said that she will only accept Mrs. Ragan or Mom from my SO.  My ex(my son's father) calls her by her first name.  I don't see an issue.  I think for my SO to call her Mom is an insult to his own mother.  I'd never call SO's mother "Mom" or SO's Father "Dad".  I call them by their first name.  I think SO calling my mom Mrs. Ragan is too formal.  So I figured I'd do a poll to see what other people think/do.

Do you call your SO's parents:

By their first name

By their last name(Mr./Mrs.)

Mom/Dad

And Do you feel that calling SO's parents Mom/Dad is disrespectful to your OWN Mom/Dad?

Photobucket
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
averiensmommy07
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM
I call them mom and dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShhhItsASecret
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM
6 moms liked this
I call het bitch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM
By their first names. I'm not comfortable calling them mom or dad, although BFs mom has treated me and loved me like a daughter.

My dad calls my grandma (my moms mother) mom. He always has. When he was young his mom passed away. When my parents got married, my grandma said she would be honored if my dad would call her mom, since she now would hopefully be like a mother to him. He has called her mom for 27 years now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earth.whispers
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Mu husband and I call each other's parents by their first names. I don't think calling your in-laws by Mom or Dad is disrespectful to your parents, but I know my own mom finds it hurtful... she's complained because my sister calls her in-laws Mom and Dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casah4
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I don't call them anything!  LOL   I never knew what to call them and I never came up with anything.

Momof2boyskj
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM
First names
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ronique1989
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Quoting averiensmommy07:

I call them mom and dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orcadarwin
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I call them mom and dad and no it's not disrespectful to my parents at all.  They aren't replacing my parents, they are just an addition to my family.  My parents called each other's parents mom and dad.  My husband's parents call each other's parents mom and dad.  To me, it's shows more respect to call my in-laws mom and dad, instead of by their first or last name.  It also makes them smile when I call them mom and dad.  They call me their daughter, and have since I first married their son.  

boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I call them by their first names.   They have told me I can call them Mom & Dad, but it is not comfortable for me, even after 20 years.

If your Mom wants to be addressed as Mrs. R.  I would insist she address your S/O with the same respect.  Mr.______.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Well, culture come in to play here. I call her Umm Esam (Esams mother, Arabic women are called Umm "First sons name or DD's name if there is no son, men are Abu "Childs name")
Or Big Anisa (DD is Little Anisa)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)