Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I lived through an Inland Hurricane......SERIOUSLY *VIDEO*

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM
  • 3 Replies

May 8, 2009 Started like any other day.  As a matter of fact my family was having a yard sale outside where we lived in a trailer.  My mom had called me all morning telling me it was supposed to storm, (she does this every time it rains).  So we laughed about it and continued with our yard sale.  Then a big storm started moving in and I got a little nervous because it just felt weird.  So we hurried up and covered our yard sale stuff and got in our car and drove to a church to sit under the carport and get in if we needed to.  Well the storm turned out to be no big deal but did cause some flooding.  We grabbed lunch at this awesome BBQ place and went home to eat. 

About an hour and a half later the sky starts getting dark again.  The wind starts picking up like crazy and I start getting really nervous.  I looked up on my blackberry and saw we had a tornado warning.  Then the sirens......if any of you live in a place like Illinois you know that sound.....I grew up listening to that sound.  Things started getting really bad really fast.  Well at the time we had a 1 year old and a 3 year old so I wanted to leave since we lived in a trailer built in 1980.  My husband was trying to secure out back door which had actually been ripped open during the first round of storming.  He told me that if he didnt secure it it might be gone and the whole wall of the trailer could be ripped off.  I was screaming at him to get in the van!  I was absolutely panicking.  When I looked outside and an airborne trampoline flew by I knew we had to go NOW.  All the trailers were emptying and people were running. 

I finally got him into our van after dodging flying lawn chairs and siding pieces from the trailer across the road and we headed towards the church we went to earlier that day.  As we were heading out we noticed one of the entrances to the trailer park blocked by a tree so we raced for the second one.  When we started to leave a power line fell and I hit the gas and we made it just in time.  I knew if we didnt make it under it we would not get out since the field was so flooded from earlier. 

As we were driving the kids were crying and I was crying.  I kept saying OMG its a tornado.  Phones werent working and I didnt know where any of my family was.  As we were driving you could literally watch trees being ripped out by the roots.  Tree branches were flying at the car and roofing, I could not see at all.  Finally almost like it was glowing I found the church.  Underneath the carport was another person from the trailer park who had a 2 month old baby in the car.  We tried the door and it was locked (Usually they open but there was no warning this time) My husband went around to try the other doors and I was so scared he might get hurt.  Finally we tried the front door again and it just popped open.  It was almost like God was trying to let us in to get our babies to a safe place.  We were worried the carport was going to collapse. We stayed in and watched through the windows the worst storm I have ever been in in my life.  It was so awful.  There was not 1 tree untouched.  Literally everything had major damage.  We were so fortunate to all be ok when it was all said and done.  It took us 3 hours to get the 2 minutes back to our house because of massive destruction. 

Here is a link to the story on it.  I had never heard of an Inland Hurricane before and I still can hardly believe it happened. 

Now when my mom calls me to tell me about a possible storm I  listen.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Tiffanydshives
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaPaparazza
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Scary as hell. I'm glad you and family made it
Back to the church!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wifeandmomof2.5
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)