Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They keep telling my kid that mythical people are real. *added questions*

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM
  • 206 Replies
2 moms liked this
My DD started talking about God last night. My mom has obviously been talking to her about it *again* and I'm pretty irritated. My DD is only four. She is very impressionable and at her age, she is quite unable to fully grasp Christianity and its diety.

I should add here, that I have no problem with my DD believing what she wants to believe--when she is capable of making an informed decision. I do not want her having religion shoved down her throat like I did as a child.

On top of that, her titi took her for the day/night. I've been extremely stressed out and she wanted to take DD to have fun. She said she was bringing a sweater and taking her to the zoo. Cool, right?

No. I called DD to say goodnight and she screeches in my ear, "Mommy! Santa is really real!" DD's Titi had taken her to the zoo to see Santa.

*sigh* I know her friends have been excited about Santa and are talking about him. I have explained to DD the true story of St. Nick. She also knows that other people believe differently than we do, and that's okay too. Obviously, she wants to believe in Santa because it's a pretty big thing this time of year.

I'm mostly frustrated with both of these situations because both of the adult women involved KNOW my personal beliefs and what I teach my kids. I feel they undermined me as a mother and are trying to dissuade my DD of my family's beliefs. I know my DD will make her own decision someday, but at the age of 4, it is completely innapropriate to try to teach a child or convince them to believe in things they have been told are not real by their parents.

How exactly should I talk to DD? And what is a firm but polite way to get through to my mom and DD's Titi that what they did was unacceptable?

Added questions

What if I told you I was Christian and someone was telling my child God wasn't real?

What if I told you we believed in Santa and someone told my child he wasn't real?

It's interesting how many posts I see regarding this and how many people would *fume* if the above questions were how my family actually believed. Apparently it's only a problem if we don't believe in God or Santa. Gotcha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this

They both, as adults should respect your way of raising your dd, and not go behind your back to do such things. I agree, at such a young age, they could just cause more confusion for her. 

epoh
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:25 PM
I'm so frustrated with this. My mother has been doing this with DD on Thursdays when she watches her and we already discussed her teaching my DD to pray to God.

Quoting night.magic:

They both, as adults should respect your way of raising your dd, and not go behind your back to do such things. I agree, at such a young age, they could just cause more confusion for her. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM
3 moms liked this

you obvioulsy dont want her to believe in anything

Santa is just a nice story for children why burst the bubble?

and you are getting mad because they are talking to her about stuff but she isnt getting it SHOVED down her throat like you did

If she wants to believe in those things why are you fighting it? she will know the hard truths of life anyways soon enough

epoh
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM
What do you believe in? You wouldn't have a problem with your small child being taught, by influential people in her life, the exact opposite of what you have taught her?

It's not that I don't believe in anything. I just happen to not believe in *those* two things.

Quoting silverdawn99:

you obvioulsy dont want her to believe in anything

Santa is just a nice story for children why burst the bubble?

and you are getting mad because they are talking to her about stuff but she isnt getting it SHOVED down her throat like you did

If she wants to believe in those things why are you fighting it? she will know the hard truths of life anyways soon enough

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
morrigan914
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM
4 moms liked this
There is no gentle way to do it. Tell them, and stick with it!!! That you will not allow anymore unsupervised visits if they cannot respect your decisions as a parent. Plain and simple.

FL2AK
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM
As far as God I have no advice. But I think for Santa you can continue to explain to her the story about St. Nick and how people dressing up in a Santa suit keeps the tradition alive. I don't see a difference between someone in a Santa suit and someone dressed up in costume at Disney.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell them that you want your daughter to come into her beliefs on her own not at the influence of outside sources.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Sorry you are going through this!
My family is another religion than us, but it's not really been an issue too much as far as them overstepping other than pushing Christmas (We don't celebrate at all)
They still buy things for us, wrap it in Christmas paper (Except my mom, she does solid colors), put up decorations on the day I am over and ask for DD and I to help and decorate the tree, and my dad and stepmom insist on talking to DD about Santa... It's frustrating. You are the mom, talk to her. Just explain it was just someone dressed as Santa.
Thankfully there is no confusion with DD yet about it. Santa came up to us in Walmart a while ago and asked was she a good girl and she just told him "We don't do Christmas" Lol!

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:47 PM
3 moms liked this

You could stop letting them take your kid, or you can just let her believe and figure it out when she gets older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)