Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Epidural

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM
  • 33 Replies
I've heard lots of things about epidurals, but I was wondering...
is it painful?? I know they put on a numbing solution...but can you still feel it? And is it worth it if it hurts?
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aknjcp
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:44 PM
It is uncomfortable... Mostly because of the position you have to get yourself in. The numbing stings a bit at first, but it isn't bad. For me, the epidural was totally worth it! I was a little sore the next day, but I got to fully enjoy my labor!!! They turned it down when I needed to start pushing, but that was over in 12 minutes for me.
Lisaski
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:44 PM
Absolutely 100% worth it...
Thats just my opinion...
I was in terrible pain..obviously.. after the epidural I didn't feel a thing!!!
It doesn't really hurt when they are putting it in. The hardest part is sitting still through the contractions when they are putting it in.
timmys-mom
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM
My epidural was actually pretty easy. It was much worse thinking about it than actually getting it done. The hardest part was sitting still enough to get it put in. I kept flinching because I knew there was a needle coming at my back! The contractions I was having were pretty painful so the numbing needle going in...I barely even noticed it!!

Totally worth it.  I had a c-section so I would have needed it for sure, but even with a vaginal delivery I would have been all about it.
daydreamer1507
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:47 PM
I barely felt them give me epidural.... granted it didn't work to well on me and it only worked on one side... the i.v. they  gave me had to be put in my hand....it hurt so much worse!
rhpudgey3
Girl , let me tell ya, I love epidurals.... they are awesome. I had one with both my kids and it may labor and delivery so easy. As for the painful part i think it has alot to do with the anesthesiologist.  My first one I didn't feel a thing my second it was uncomfy but compared to the contractions it was like having a bug bite. lol. They really are the best!
KaysLife
I didn't want an epidural but I ended up getting one. I didn't think it hurt at all. Mine wore off in about an hour and I felt all the pain of birth. Hope this helps.
fulloflaughs26
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:50 PM
I didn't think it hurt at all!  It was nothing compared to the contractions I was having.  And it was so worth it!  Made me relax and after being in labor forever and only getting to 2 cm, they gave me the epidural and I was fully dialted in an hour.  My husband and I are now spokespeople for epidurals!
basilmommy
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I didnt have an epidural with either one of my kids (not by choice) and when I have another one, I will definitely have an epidural. I dont care if it hurts. By experience, I am sure it will be worth it. :)

San-Dee
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:52 PM
I have had 3 children.  The first was a C-Section and that was a miserable recovery (2-3 weeks) and my staples became infected.  The second was a vaginal birth and I had an epidural.....AWESOME!!!!  I was able to still feel pressure and the birth was so easy and stress free.  The doctors say it is easier on the baby and mother as it relaxes the muscles and helps the baby to come thru the birth canal with less resistance.  I NEVER had any stitches or tears either, Dr. said epidurals make those less frequent.  I was able to enjoy the birth of my child.  The third pregnancy....no question.....EPIDURAL.

It feels about like getting an IV needle.  They numb the area and the anesthesiologist inserts the needle into your spine.

I'll put it to you this way.....I was dialated to 6 when the epidural finally arrived for my 3rd child.....ask yourself, what is worse......feeling yourself dialate to 10 and give birth to a baby and stress your body and the child?   or the possible pain of a needle in your spine that only lasts a matter of a second or two before youre numb.  It makes sense that if you are feeling no pain your muscles are more relaxed and the baby will deliver easier.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your new family member !!!!!   They are awesome and will change your life forever......for the good!!!
daydreamer1507
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:52 PM

the epidural is so worth it and me... I have a very low tolerance for pain. and I barely felt them give me the epidural... they had to put my i.v. in my hand and that hurt so much worse than getting the epidural....so if you have ever had an i.v. don't sweat it. and if you worried about the baby... don't be it'll be fine.. I was worried about my son coming out all tired and doped up.... people told me that if you get drugs the babies aren't as alert.. that is bull my son is the most alert baby I have ever seen...his idea of a nap is 15 minutes.. 30 if I hold him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN