Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I've heard lots of things about epidurals, but I was wondering...
is it painful?? I know they put on a numbing solution...but can you still feel it? And is it worth it if it hurts?
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM
Replies (31-33):
Mommie4
by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 12:03 AM
The epidural is not painless....it is more uncomfortable though than painful. 
It's not nearly the big deal you imagine it will be.
It is well worth it however.  When I had my daughter, I felt absolutely nothing because the epidural worked so well.  I still had my hair in place and lipstick on when I came out of the delivery room and everyone laughed about that! lol!
Just so happened that I was lucky to have been given the epidural at just the right time.  If it is given at the right centimeter timing of your labor, it is extremely effective and you feel nothing.  It also helps you to feel relaxed since you are not in pain.
When I had my twins, I received the epidural when I was already pretty far along, so it didn't work very well. 
adnsmom
by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 12:08 AM
I will tell you right now that I was completely freaked out about getting the epidural.  I HATE needles and I HATE pain.  So you can just imagine my fear of having a child.  But I felt NOTHING.  I was dilated to a 5 when I thought I might need an epidural so they went ahead and gave me some demerol and when they called the anesthesiologist I was so relaxed and did not even feel the needle from him numbing me.  It was a breeze!
vegasmomof3
by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 12:10 AM
Sooooo worth it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)