Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I get so sick of people being bashed for giving their kids a good Christmas!!

Posted by   + Show Post
Who the hell cares how much was spent or how many gifts were bought?? I've never in my life met a group of women who will bash someone for trying to give the absolute best for their children, and for trying to make their children's day/holiday special. Gah
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM
Replies (391-400):
TarotMommy
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Your post done got invaded by hijacking trees!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cake.Lady
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Bishes 😡lol

Quoting TarotMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarotMommy
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM
Lol!

Quoting Cake.Lady:

Bishes 😡lol

Quoting TarotMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseKatof2
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Quoting momma2three84:

Quoting HouseKatof2:

Quoting momma2three84:

I'm a single parent and I can't afford a whole lot for my kids BUT tonight (with only my gifts to them under the tree, since Santa hasn't come yet) my 7 year old said "WOW! We are the luckiest house in the world!! And Santa's presents aren't even here yet!"  I would rather have kids like mine, who appreciate everything they do get, than kids who probably couldn't care less what they are getting.  My SIL got her 4 year old son a laptop for Christmas this year and has told me probably ten times.  I'll be the one laughing when he breaks it in a week! If you can afford to shower them with gifts, go for it, but they would probably be just as happy with a few less gifts and you can use the money you saved to donate to a charity, pay off some bills, or put it away for a rainy day. Just my opinion.

Your opinion is full of a large amount of assumptions about other people's lives & kids. 

How do you jump to the conclusion that kids are not capable of being grateful simply because they got a lot of gifts?

How do you assume that kids are not capable of appreciating the overall meaning of the holiday just because they got a lot of gifts?

How do you assume that kids are not capable of appreciating/respecting the nice/expensive gifts that they receive?

How do you assume that, because a child receives a lot of gifts, the family must not have thought about those that are struggling, have a lot of debt they should focus on, or need to worry about their savings account?

It may be "just your opinion", but it is full of vast generalizations that make your thinking extremely faulty.  

I'm not "assuming" anything.  My statement comes from my own personal observation.  But honestly, giving kids tons of gifts is one thing... BRAGGING about it is a whole other thing.  Just the fact that you want to brag about says you didn't do it because you wanted to spoil your kids, you did it because you want a pat on the back from other moms, or people in general. 

and I didn't say those people don't think about others who are struggling.  I was just saying that instead of going overboard with gifts, you could do alot more (whether it be for someone else or your own family) and your kids would be just as happy.  Unless you are Bill Gates, of course. In which case, it's awesome that you are that rich and hanging out with us little people on CM!

and THAT is your opinion. Merry Christmas!

Funny thing about your response is that, if you look right above it, you will see that we are in agreement about people that feel the need to be validated about the purchasing decisions they have made. 

As far as the going overboard vs. doing more within the community, sometimes the very purpose is to spoil the kids. Our personal situation (I posted about it on page 36) is a perfect example of that. 

"It is in our obligation to endure that we achieve the right to know."
~My Dad   

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" 
~Fredrick Douglass

nikkik526
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Quoting ..guesswho..:

There is such thing as overkill though. I don't bash about any of it, I just state my opinion. I thought that's what this site was for.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkik526
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Quoting laranadtony:

But it is fine to bash for parents who CANNOT give their kids a good Christmas.I see...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momswag
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I don't bash them for what they do, I bash them for being tacky and tasteless by stating blantantly how many gifts they bought and how much they spent. You can have all the money in the world and still not have class. It's straight up trashy to discuss your abillity to do or not to for your family. 

danidaninja
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. My kids are Spoiled. Its well deserved. Theyre 8 an 6 and they get great grades, never get in trouble at school, they are extremely well behaved, they help out alot around the house and they are very respectful and appreciate everything theyre given and take good care of their things. So i see no reason to give them a good christmas. We spent about $1200-$1500 on each of them and bought them a big gift to share as well. The looks on their faces when they open the gifts they really wanted to me and dh are priceless and the kugs, kisses and thank yous are just as wonderful ;) i love spoling my kids because they deserve it and well because my hubby and i work hard to provide a great life for our kids so we do!!! (: they alsO undertand that christmas is not JUST about presents and we do donate to childrrens hospital toy drives in the area and we always go through their old stuff before their birthdays and holidays to donate what they dont play with anymore to less fortunate kids. Its makes them feel good about themselves and makes me proud to be a mother to such thoughtful and giving children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i01proof1214
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM

every seems to think u are suppose only a little for xmas i buy my kids each 15-30 presents each christmas

alwayskk
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM
why does more $ spent= a good christmas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN