Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Garbage picking ?

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 9:58 AM
  • 20 Replies

Do you or your s/o go garbage picking? Mine does doesn't actually go out looking but if he sees something good while he's out he brings it home. 
Although I hate it. I have to admit he's found some GREAT stuff. He brought nice printer HP Photosmart Plus, that was brand new there was something minor wrong with it. My DH called HP had it fixed.  We now have a nice ass printer.
The other night he found a bike in the garbage taken apart. Brought it home it's missing the seat, seat post and brake. All easy fixes. He looked online this bike is worth $450.

Anyone, else find any good?

by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM

DH is a garbage man so I dont have to go anywhere :)

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Uhm no I don't do that.  There's an old man that comes by our apartment weekly and literally gets inside it looking.  He's here as I type.  I just got home approximately 10 mins ago and I saw him inside the dumpter looking around.  The fuck?  That thing stinks when ever I take trash down.......  I wanna vomit at the thought of him being inside the darn thing.  Yuck.

mom_4kiddos
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I'm sure he brings home lots of good garbage ? LOL

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Well if you call a flatscreen TV, 2K worth of wine, an NDS lite (and more), garbage, then sure.

Quoting mom_4kiddos:

I'm sure he brings home lots of good garbage ? LOL

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

mom_4kiddos
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Well, my husband doesn't go that far. If he's out and sees something form the truck he'll get out and look at it. If there nothing visible wrong with it. He'll bring it home. Lots of stuff he brings home he can fix. If it's not fixable he throws it out.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Uhm no I don't do that.  There's an old man that comes by our apartment weekly and literally gets inside it looking.  He's here as I type.  I just got home approximately 10 mins ago and I saw him inside the dumpter looking around.  The fuck?  That thing stinks when ever I take trash down.......  I wanna vomit at the thought of him being inside the darn thing.  Yuck.

Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Ewwww....no.  I haven't ever nor will I do it in the future.  

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM

My dh does every now and again.  I used to hate it but then one day he noticed they had thrown out all the belongings of a neighbor who had passed away.  His neice just threw everything away said she didnt want any of it.   she put it in black garbage bags. Dh took the bags home.  He found lots of things but the biggest was an old wallet.  Inside the old wallet was 8 $100 bills.    I don't give him such a hard time anymore  lol

davnrori
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I've never garbage picked and neither has DH but I've put things on the curb knowing that someone could pick them up and use them. We're a military family so we move a lot and sometimes I don't have time/energy to go through everything and donate it so I put it out. I leave it separate from the trash and hope someone picks it up. If not, then it has to go with the garbage man. I donate at least $1000 worth of things throughout the year to the Vietnam Veterans Association, with 3 growing kids and no one to pass hand-me-downs to it would get crowded around here if I didn't donate stuff, but I still have to put useable things out by the garbage. I feel happy when I see someone come around with a pick-up truck and take the stuff :) I'm glad it's going to help someone.

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

my oldest's toddler bed. We lived on post, so there was ALWAYS good stuff. 

*ETA* I didn't LITERALLY go climbing in cumpsters. But on post, sometimes people have to move so fast it's amazing waht they throw out

christina0607
by on Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

No, nor would we ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)