Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My co-worker was telling me about her friend being angry because he was stuck in line at a store for 30 minutes because the woman in front of him was one of the coupon people. She said he went on a rant about how those people are basically stealing from the stores because they find ways around the policies and they should spend the 30 hours a week they use clipping coupons actually working and pay regular price like everyone else does. He also went on about how it hurts the stores financially and they're ruining everyone getting a good deal because of it.

What are your thoughts? Smart or stealing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Replies (151-157):
inspain
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Your co-worker is a jealous ass-hat.  It's not "stealing".

mummaluvshrbbs6
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:47 AM

i so want to learn! wtg that is awesome! 

Quoting pixxydust:

I am a extreme couponer. Yesterday I went to the store and got 2380.00 worth for 3.67. I keep a stockpile of 3 months. I have a family of 5. Yesterday I did buy 32 toothpaste,floss. I got them all free. When I have more than I can use I always donate to friends and family

partingwhisper
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

My co-worker was telling me about her friend being angry because he was stuck in line at a store for 30 minutes because the woman in front of him was one of the coupon people. She said he went on a rant about how those people are basically stealing from the stores because they find ways around the policies and they should spend the 30 hours a week they use clipping coupons actually working and pay regular price like everyone else does. He also went on about how it hurts the stores financially and they're ruining everyone getting a good deal because of it.

What are your thoughts? Smart or stealing?

being a good couponer means following store policies and abiding by the legal wording of the coupons. the stores get reimbursed by the companies for the coupons so how is it stealing from the stores? it would be sheer stupidity to not use a coupon to save yourself some money. and extreme couponers are just extremely good at what they do. they are NOT hurting the stores bottom line in the slightest. 

partingwhisper
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

the couponer took the time to match the coupons with the sale, to stand in line while being checked out, haul it home. it belongs to them and its up to them what they do with their own belongings. I made 10K my first stockpile sale. 

Quoting ebaymommyfor5:

I think if you approach everything with morals it's fine, however many people buy everything they can get their hands (regardless of what's left for others) on and even obtain coupons in imorral ways. I have been a couponer on and off since in my 20's. I'm 40 now. I have seen greed at its finest and see people selling what they obtain "free" from the stores at garage sales. Then I think "oh yeah that's why there were no vitamins" left from the sale at CVS, she took them all so she could sell them! Its sad, frustrating, makes me feel like I don't want to coupon anymore. However I have 5 kids, 4 still at home and we are only a 1 income family so those coupons really help but I am embarassed to use my coupon book for fear people will think I am a greedy one like so many in the neighborhood! The extreme coupon shows have really brought out the greed in shoppers.

pixxydust
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I could teach you

Quoting mummaluvshrbbs6:

i so want to learn! wtg that is awesome! 

Quoting pixxydust:

I am a extreme couponer. Yesterday I went to the store and got 2380.00 worth for 3.67. I keep a stockpile of 3 months. I have a family of 5. Yesterday I did buy 32 toothpaste,floss. I got them all free. When I have more than I can use I always donate to friends and family

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scorpiobabes
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Smart-he sounds like a whiner IMHO. There's women around here (ABE in Pennsylvania) that took advantage of one local Walmart's policy-they'd come in and buy $100s of HBA products dirt cheap with coupons, then turn around and return the product for full price! THAT is stealing-and the store was dumb enough to let it go on for MONTHS before they finally put a stop to it!

TamaraDawn91
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I am an "extreme couponer" and it isn't stealing because the store is reimbursed the coupon amount plus, usually, 8 cents to cover handling and shipping fees. I can spend upwards of 50 hrs some weeks finding deals and organizing my coupons. Because of couponing I am able to stay home with my 6 month old baby boy and our entire monthly grocery budget, which includes food, snacks, drinks, personal hygiene, and medicinal products, is about $100 and we don't spend more than $100 a month on baby toys, clothes, diapers, and wipes, and only $50 of that is diapers and wipes (and I usually end up with more diapers than I need in a month).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)