Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My co-worker was telling me about her friend being angry because he was stuck in line at a store for 30 minutes because the woman in front of him was one of the coupon people. She said he went on a rant about how those people are basically stealing from the stores because they find ways around the policies and they should spend the 30 hours a week they use clipping coupons actually working and pay regular price like everyone else does. He also went on about how it hurts the stores financially and they're ruining everyone getting a good deal because of it.

What are your thoughts? Smart or stealing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I read an article about a few that were cheating as they used generic barcodes for companys or something like that.  But coupons in general, not cheating.

1Proud_Mama110
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Quoting pitbulllove2011:

i don't think it's stealing. i think it just shows that citizens are just doing what they can to save money. there is nothing wrong with that. i have been stuck behind people many times in stores who use coupons right and left. i am kind of envious honestly.

This

saad1
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Extreme couponers are just that, extreme. I do believe some of them try to get around store policies, use fraudulant coupons, use coupons on items not intended for said coupons, and it is because of them that some stores are treating ALL couponers like criminals.

I used to coupon, but nowhere near that scale. I had about a year's supply of shampoo, razors, toothpaste, and other stuff like soap, etc, and I quit. For one, I had another child and it was a lot of work.  And secondly, because we started making more money and I didn't NEED to. Even now, I want to save my family money, so I still get the sunday paper and try to make the best of it, using some coupons here and there. 

acrogodess
by Lissette on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Quoting allornone:

I am not sure if you or your friend know that the store gets a processing fee and the amount of the coupon. So they actually are not losing money unless the coupons are copied or fraudulent.  If the stores were losing money do you really think coupons would still be around after 50+ years? 

Precisely, the stores are being compensated for the price of the item or the amount of the coupon. Stores are not losing money at all. 

momswag
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I agree completely. I would insist that a new lane be open immediately. 

A post was circulating earlier about child-free shopping hours, I think businesses could and SHOULD have 'extreme' couping hours. If more than 5-10 coupons are being used it MUST be done between hours of X and X... 

Quoting TableforSeven:

I don't think it is stealing...they are just using a bunch of coupons instead of just a few.
BUT - I do think they are a new type of hoarders....the 'stock piles' they have are insane. Seriously - who need a 10 year supply of shampoo and if you have that much....why are you buying MORE?!

I saw one of those couponing shows yesterday and commented to DH that I would insist a store open a new lane if I got stuck behind some wack-o with 100 coupons. I do not feel like standing there for a year behind them.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting hotmommytutu:

If it's legit....go for it.  But, I honestly think it is stealing.  Think about it, how can the cashier got thru each and every individual coupon?  You're suppose to check the date and make sure the product is there, right?  Well, if you're handed however many coupns how in the hell can you do that?

I think most of the coupns are out of date, multiples and not even for the product scanned.  Just my thoghts on it......

Welcome to 2011 the computer does all of that the cashier does nothing but scan.  IF you had every used a coupon you would know it won't accept it if the date is bad or the product doesn't match....LOL

SouthernMommy88
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Hoarding is defined as keeping EVERTHING and ANYTHING despite the value.

Stockpiling food and basic necessities of life is not hoarding. It's being prepared.

Quoting EndlessSpinning:

I keep a stockpile because I have a family of eight. It isnt always hoarding.

Quoting ttc_number2:

No ussually its hoarding though

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

LMAO it only takes maybe 20 seconds if that long to scan 20 coupons......wow lots of opinions but not much fact here.

Quoting momswag:

I agree completely. I would insist that a new lane be open immediately. 

A post was circulating earlier about child-free shopping hours, I think businesses could and SHOULD have 'extreme' couping hours. If more than 5-10 coupons are being used it MUST be done between hours of X and X... 

Quoting TableforSeven:

I don't think it is stealing...they are just using a bunch of coupons instead of just a few.
BUT - I do think they are a new type of hoarders....the 'stock piles' they have are insane. Seriously - who need a 10 year supply of shampoo and if you have that much....why are you buying MORE?!

I saw one of those couponing shows yesterday and commented to DH that I would insist a store open a new lane if I got stuck behind some wack-o with 100 coupons. I do not feel like standing there for a year behind them.

Liansmommie
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Quoting hotmommytutu:

If it's legit....go for it.  But, I honestly think it is stealing.  Think about it, how can the cashier got thru each and every individual coupon?  You're suppose to check the date and make sure the product is there, right?  Well, if you're handed however many coupns how in the hell can you do that?

I think most of the coupns are out of date, multiples and not even for the product scanned.  Just my thoghts on it......

If that is the case it's not stealing on the part of the customer it's negligence on the part of cashier.

Shawna510
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I wish I knew how to coupon! It would helpful with our family of 7

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN