Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
My co-worker was telling me about her friend being angry because he was stuck in line at a store for 30 minutes because the woman in front of him was one of the coupon people. She said he went on a rant about how those people are basically stealing from the stores because they find ways around the policies and they should spend the 30 hours a week they use clipping coupons actually working and pay regular price like everyone else does. He also went on about how it hurts the stores financially and they're ruining everyone getting a good deal because of it.

What are your thoughts? Smart or stealing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
Freela
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I don't think it's stealing, but I do think it's potentially wasteful if you are really extreme and can't use all the stuff.  Once watching an 'extreme couponing' show they showed a woman who had rows and rows and rows of salad dressing stockpiled in her pantry.  That stuff does expire... unless she was chugging it out of the bottle as a beverage, there was no way a family of two could get through all that salad dressing before it went bad.  If you can't possibly use it up, how is it saving money to purchase it, even at a discount?

louzannalady
1 mom liked this
Your co-worker is very ignorant. With the money Walmart and other companies make vs the very small percentage of consumers who actually extreme coupon.... Yeah, the stores are not hurting at all!! No, it's not stealing. It's knowing how to use the rules to your own advantage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hotmommytutu

Duh! Sorry for my lack on knowledge.  I live in Canada, we don't have coupons and store cards.  We have to pay full price for what we want to buy.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting hotmommytutu:

If it's legit....go for it.  But, I honestly think it is stealing.  Think about it, how can the cashier got thru each and every individual coupon?  You're suppose to check the date and make sure the product is there, right?  Well, if you're handed however many coupns how in the hell can you do that?

I think most of the coupns are out of date, multiples and not even for the product scanned.  Just my thoghts on it......

Welcome to 2011 the computer does all of that the cashier does nothing but scan.  IF you had every used a coupon you would know it won't accept it if the date is bad or the product doesn't match....LOL

EndlessSpinning
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Many couponers I know donate. I get some free things but my state laws make it difficult so I can not do extreme couponing.

Quoting SouthernMommy88:

Hoarding is defined as keeping EVERTHING and ANYTHING despite the value.

Stockpiling food and basic necessities of life is not hoarding. It's being prepared.

Quoting EndlessSpinning:

I keep a stockpile because I have a family of eight. It isnt always hoarding.

Quoting ttc_number2:

No ussually its hoarding though

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avi_nevaeh_mama
1 mom liked this

Obviously he is just jealous and has no clue how coupons work. It is not stealing as long as the person is abiding by the rules set by the coupons and the stores (which is easy to still get free and cheap stuff and still abide by the rules). And the stores aren't missing out at all. They get the full face value of the coupon back from the manufacturer AND they get an extra $0.08 per coupon for a processing fee. So the stores actually make some money by accepting coupons. The way these "extreme" couponers do it is by stacking a coupon with a sale price. So say Target has All Laundry Detergent on sale for $8.99. And Target puts out a Store Coupon on their website for $2.00 off. And then you can use a manufacturer coupon, let's say it's for $3.00 off. So now the detergent which was origianlly $12.99 is now only $3.99. There is nothing illegal or stealing about that. That's just smart shopping.

hotmommytutu

I do agree with you there........

Quoting Liansmommie:

Quoting hotmommytutu:

If it's legit....go for it.  But, I honestly think it is stealing.  Think about it, how can the cashier got thru each and every individual coupon?  You're suppose to check the date and make sure the product is there, right?  Well, if you're handed however many coupns how in the hell can you do that?

I think most of the coupns are out of date, multiples and not even for the product scanned.  Just my thoghts on it......

If that is the case it's not stealing on the part of the customer it's negligence on the part of cashier.

fel1c1a
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM
I just want to knw how they get so many coupons with out them expireing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
1 mom liked this
But in Canada you do get paid monthly for staying home with your kids right??? This is a way some American moms make some side cash because we don't get paid by the govt to watch our kids.

Quoting hotmommytutu:

Duh! Sorry for my lack on knowledge.  I live in Canada, we don't have coupons and store cards.  We have to pay full price for what we want to buy.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting hotmommytutu:

Welcome to 2011 the computer does all of that the cashier does nothing but scan.  IF you had every used a coupon you would know it won't accept it if the date is bad or the product doesn't match....LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momswag

What are you talking about? Have you watched the extreme couponing show? Those couponers have been in line for up to an hour or more, not to mention if there are issues with the coupons, products etc... It's not 20 seconds when it's EXTREME couponing. 

I coupon, but it's at the max 10 coupons which takes 20 seconds... 

Quoting erinsmom1964: 

LMAO it only takes maybe 20 seconds if that long to scan 20 coupons......wow lots of opinions but not much fact here.

Quoting momswag:

I agree completely. I would insist that a new lane be open immediately. 

A post was circulating earlier about child-free shopping hours, I think businesses could and SHOULD have 'extreme' couping hours. If more than 5-10 coupons are being used it MUST be done between hours of X and X... 

Quoting TableforSeven:

I don't think it is stealing...they are just using a bunch of coupons instead of just a few.
BUT - I do think they are a new type of hoarders....the 'stock piles' they have are insane. Seriously - who need a 10 year supply of shampoo and if you have that much....why are you buying MORE?!

I saw one of those couponing shows yesterday and commented to DH that I would insist a store open a new lane if I got stuck behind some wack-o with 100 coupons. I do not feel like standing there for a year behind them.

GomezMami2908
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

If they cheat using coupons, like doubling when it says you are not supposed to or using expired coupons then yes it is stealing. I doubt, highly doubt, that all these extreme couponers haven't done those things at one point or another. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)