Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Advice for a plane ride

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2007 at 8:16 PM
  • 3 Replies

On wednesday we are venturing out to Idaho to visit family.  I am very excited to go except one HUGE obstacle.  We are taking a plane... it doesn't sound that huge but I am very worried about my daughter.  She is a VERY low sensory child.  She hates loud noises, if her sheets are to cold when she gets into bed it wakes her up ( if she fell asleep before she gets into bed) little things like that, that shouldn't be too big of a deal.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how to relieve the pressure in her ears.  She doesn't have a pacifier any more.  Thanks for the help!Laughing

by on Feb. 19, 2007 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Aspie_House
by on Feb. 19, 2007 at 11:33 PM
I have a daughter that has the same problem. We've taken many plane flights over the years. Some trips were better than others, but here are a few things we did to make her more comfortable.

Popping ears:  Take along candy that she can suck on or chew. Like those candy pacifiers, or gummy worms. Another, and probably better idea is to try to teach her how to plug her nose, close her mouth and blow. It will open her ears on the plane. It also works great if she gets water in her ears at the pool or in the tub.

Needing sensory stimulation: I alway took a bag of new (small) toys along and didn't give it to her until we were on the plane. It took her attention away from other things that might have bothered her. One of the best items was double wrapping playdough in sandwich bags. She could squish it through the plastic wrap and it wasn't messy.

Too much stimulation: I also brought along a small blanket and stuffed toy.
If she experienced sensory overload, she'd put the blanket over her head. It calmed her down and sometimes she'd even fall asleep.

Good luck, I hope your trip goes well.
LILMA314
by on Feb. 19, 2007 at 11:54 PM

Quoting Aspie_House:

I have a daughter that has the same problem. We've taken many plane flights over the years. Some trips were better than others, but here are a few things we did to make her more comfortable.

Popping ears:  Take along candy that she can suck on or chew. Like those candy pacifiers, or gummy worms. Another, and probably better idea is to try to teach her how to plug her nose, close her mouth and blow. It will open her ears on the plane. It also works great if she gets water in her ears at the pool or in the tub.

Needing sensory stimulation: I alway took a bag of new (small) toys along and didn't give it to her until we were on the plane. It took her attention away from other things that might have bothered her. One of the best items was double wrapping playdough in sandwich bags. She could squish it through the plastic wrap and it wasn't messy.

If she experienced sensory overload, she'd put the blanket over her head. It calmed her down and sometimes she'd even fall asleep.

I agree with Aspie_House...I just took a trip last week with my son that is two years old, and thought that he would not last, but he did..I made sure that had candy,toys, and a coloring book to keep him occupied..The one thing that shocked me is that he enjoyed the trip more than I expected..He thought he was on a ride or something..But being that daughter has an issue with loud noise, maybe think about giving her a some earphones to listen to..she might enjoy it..that will at least keep her occupied when the plan is taking off..Good luck on your trip.

Rylansmom
by on Feb. 20, 2007 at 1:55 PM
Thank you both for your GREAT ideas!  Hopefully they will make our trip easier!  Thank you once again!
Quoting LILMA314:

Quoting Aspie_House:

I agree with Aspie_House...I just took a trip last week with my son that is two years old, and thought that he would not last, but he did..I made sure that had candy,toys, and a coloring book to keep him occupied..The one thing that shocked me is that he enjoyed the trip more than I expected..He thought he was on a ride or something..But being that daughter has an issue with loud noise, maybe think about giving her a some earphones to listen to..she might enjoy it..that will at least keep her occupied when the plan is taking off..Good luck on your trip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)