Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does ANYBODY educate themselves on childbirth/ pregnancy anymore?

Posted by   + Show Post
Or do they all just do what their OB says?

It amazes me how clueless some people are about the facts of pregnancy/birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Replies (121-124):
littlelimom
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

This. Except my Ob was a she. =)

Quoting Sheryllinn:

i made choices in my birthing experience that most self proclaimed "educated" women wouldnt. but i was also educated about all decisions. i made. i trust my ob, i let him make decisions regarding my birth. if there was something that i didnt agree with the decisions that he made....then i would talk to him about it. i asked him tons of questions, and looked up info on my own. but i have faith in medicine , even when it applies to childbirth. 

gilbertgrl627
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Ditto. Except, the first two times, I had a midwife. Now I have an OB. Each woman, though, respected MY decisions when it came to labor/delivery. And I also trusted their opinions on things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Quoting littlelimom:

This. Except my Ob was a she. =)

Quoting Sheryllinn:

i made choices in my birthing experience that most self proclaimed "educated" women wouldnt. but i was also educated about all decisions. i made. i trust my ob, i let him make decisions regarding my birth. if there was something that i didnt agree with the decisions that he made....then i would talk to him about it. i asked him tons of questions, and looked up info on my own. but i have faith in medicine , even when it applies to childbirth. 

hfs1998
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

OP asks "does anybody educate themselves on childbirth/pregnancy anymore?"  Um, when exactly was this golden age of women being educated on these subjects?  It sure wasn't when my mom and grandmother were giving birth in the 70s and 50s.  It wasn't earlier either because usually the woman was scared out of her mind and was lucky to have the support of other experienced moms and a midwife to get through it.  She didn't get through it because she was "educated", she made it through because of support.  I think women today are more educated than ever before on how their bodies work (and honestly it still needs work when there are women who can't seem to understand NFP).

If you are asking why are there more c-sections?  That's a complicated question.  Some of it has to do with a greater number of multiple births, thanks to fertility procedures.  Some of it has to do with the average age of the mom going up.  And yes, some (probably a LOT) has to do with the dr playing CYA.  We did this to ourselves, ladies.  The lawsuit rate against drs is ridiculous.  Their malpractice insurance is at such a high rate that many won't even practice obstetrics anymore.  It is prohibitively expensive.  So you end up with these baby mill ob practices where each drs sees a crapload of patients every day just to make ends meet, none of the patients ever getting the attention she needs.  I think the answer to your question is complicated but you want to lay all the blame at each mom's feet.

HarschMama
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
He sounds like an amazing person! My ob is awesome but not that awesome!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I was the miracle in my family.  The women in my family are prone to hemorraging, blood clots, premature seperation of the placenta OR the placenta failing to seperate...

But, I had an amazing OB.  First, DS was a LARGE baby, but my OB said I had good hips, so we'd give it a go.  I got the epidural rather early, it was my OB's one sticking point, saying a needle in my back early could save precious minutes if things went wrong and I needed a spinal block.

He began inducing me at 6am, and stayed at the hospital the ENTIRE TIME so nobody could bully me with information or decisions we both knew were false.  (Yes, he was concerned some doctors or nurses would try to bully me b/c the hospital's unofficial policy was C sections for the kind of situation we were in.) 

Long graphic story short, thanks to his support and persistance I had my DS vaginally, with only a first degree tear and NONE of the complications that plague my family!  He thoroughly researched all he could on the matter, and took preventative steps the entire way.

However, I went in knowing my chance for a C section was high, and was ready to accept it if it happened.

I'm 7 months with my second, and he's my OB again.  Just as supportive and knowledgeable as the first time.  He's been my OB for 4 years, seen me through several pregnancy losses, and is very eager to deliver this baby, too!  He's practically family, and everything about him just shows how much he loves his job.  He even has a sign on his office wall that says "My mission in life is to help bring new life to this world!"  He helps with fertility issues and specializes in high risk cases.  He never turns a woman away.  He's seen women who aren't his patients who needed someone in an emergency, he's seen me even if I walked in without an appointment, and he's currently treating my friend's PCOS.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Yeah my mom was at 48 hours and dilated to 2 so I pretty much knew I was going to have to have a cs, but I didn't want to, I wanted to at least try. 

Know what it's like to have 2 nurses, both with fingers from BOTH hands, all up inside you trying to stretch you out? That shit hurts, and that was before I had my epi. Ugh. I got the epi at 30 hours, and that was 30 hours of constant pain because I wasn't having contractions per se, I just had a terrible and increasing back ache. It was awful. They gave me the epi and I literally passed out as soon as I couldn't feel anymore. After that I only woke up when they were trying to stretch me, and when they told me it was time for the cs ... I cried for about 30 seconds, and then I was like "Ok fine, now get this kid out of me" LMAO

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

OMG 35 hours and only to 3!?  You're a real trooper!  Glad things went well with the c section, I can't even imagine hearing I was only at 3 after so long...

Quoting AnnieMcD:

To get what? C-Sections? WTH kind of regrets would that cause? I had a c-section because I'd been in labor for over 35 hours and I was dilated to 3 ... I could have waited and hoped that I would open up, but I chose to have the c-section. The end result? Exactly the same as a vaginal birth, I had a baby. 

What kinds of regrets? \

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)