Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you ladies think Dawn dish soap would kill lice??

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
  • 73 Replies

I got freaking lice from my niece. UGH! I noticed my head was kind of itchy while I was still babysitting her, but I didn't think much of it. My scalp gets dry, and itchy, especially during winter. But then the back of my neck started getting itchy a couple days ago and I could feel where they bit me. They tore my neck up! I found a lice in my hair tonight. GROSS. I am already making sure I get all the bedding washed. I am putting everything that can't be washed in the dryer for a while, cause I know heat kills lice. I am spraying the couches and the carpet. I have to go tomorrow to get treatment for my hair. I already checked my kids hair, they don't have anything. They both have their fathers hair type, very fine and thin and straight. When my husbands son had lice he never got it, but I did. So I guess they don't like his hair. I will make sure to keep check on their hair though. Now is the time where I kind of wish I had boys, cause then if they get it I can just shave their heads. lol. Anyways, do you think if I washed my hair with dawn dish soap, would it kill the lice? I know dawn kills fleas within seconds. I don't know about lice though. I know I will still need to get treatment for the eggs and do that stupid comb thing...ugghhh. It's going to take forever too...I have very thick hair. =(

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Absolutely not.
You need lice treatment, not
Soap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdgoldilocks
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

No, it won't. You need to get RID or NIX.

allycally
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
u can lather ur hair in mayo or olive oil...i dont know if soap will do anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ittyprincess604

sorry never heard of that! Good luck!

i.heart.nerds
Yeah you are going to get the treatment. That really sucks.
cdgoldilocks
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Then you need to find a very good friend to pick all the eggs (nits) and the dead/dying bugs out of your hair. It sucks.
BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM
No you need to go get the lice shampoo kit a d make sure to get the fabric spray. After you scrub your hair start washing the sheets. Spray your carpets couches and mattresses and even pillows while you sheets comforters and pillow cases are washing. Don't forget to wash your bed skirts 2 and all dirty laundry or they will still be there. Those suckers will cling to everything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

No. You need lice shampoo. I would go ahead and treat everybody as well. Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. Also don't forget about hairbrushes, combs, head bands, hats, and hair ties. They will need to be either treated or thrown out and new ones bought.

CafeMom Tickers
cLanief
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Hell no! Use mayo, wrap your head with a plastic bag and heat that bitch for at least an hour or more! I swear I always had it as a kid and nothing ever worked till mayo and sitting in hot ass sun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM
This 2

Quoting cdgoldilocks:

Then you need to find a very good friend to pick all the eggs (nits) and the dead/dying bugs out of your hair. It sucks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)