Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fleas?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM
  • 28 Replies

How long does it take frontline to work? I put it on both of my dogs and cat last week or maybe mid this week (I cant really remember). Should I do anything else to get rid of them? UGH. BTW I think I got them when I adopted my cat.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
haileys-mama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM

it takes 3 full months for all of the fleas and their eggs to die.  dont forget to treat your house, they will live in your carpet as well.  fleas suck.

cdi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Quoting haileys-mama:

it takes 3 full months for all of the fleas and their eggs to die.  dont forget to treat your house, they will live in your carpet as well.  fleas suck.

May sound dumb, but how do I treat my house? I have wood floor up stairs and brand new carpet down which the animals might have been on twice.

haileys-mama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM

i would just mop your floors and shampoo your carpet.  if you caught it early, that is probably all you have to do.  if there are fleas in your carpet, you might have to buy a flea treatment from somewhere, the clinic i used to work for carried a can of something that everyone said worked great....but i cant remember what its called.   :(

sunfreezeinmi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Oh god. Good luck. Fleas are a bitch to get rid of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Quoting sunfreezeinmi:

Oh god. Good luck. Fleas are a bitch to get rid of.

I have heard =(

haileys-mama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Here it is!  All of our clients that had to use this said it worked GREAT.

http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/knockout-es?gclid=CJHYg5i90a0CFQduhwodNyU1mQ

hotmama83227
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:18 AM

here's what we did,

flea shampoo

the spray that kills them that you spray on carpets pet beds etc

the spray you can use on the pets

the yard stuff

and we bombed the house. I HATED the flea epidemic in this house! ahh but we won...for now. good luck!

charliebean
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Frontline only PREVENTS fleas, from what I understand. A friend of mine told me that the best and cheapest way to get rid of fleas is to wash the cats (or dogs, whatever) in a solution that's one cup of Dawn dish soap, one cup white vinegar, and I think one cuo warm water, if I remember correctly. Use that same solution to spray furniture, then sprinkle salt on all carpeted areas (on a DRY day though, otherwise it'll suck all the moisture out of the air and wet salt is not fun to clean up).

haileys-mama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Quoting charliebean:

Frontline only PREVENTS fleas, from what I understand. A friend of mine told me that the best and cheapest way to get rid of fleas is to wash the cats (or dogs, whatever) in a solution that's one cup of Dawn dish soap, one cup white vinegar, and I think one cuo warm water, if I remember correctly. Use that same solution to spray furniture, then sprinkle salt on all carpeted areas (on a DRY day though, otherwise it'll suck all the moisture out of the air and wet salt is not fun to clean up).

frontline really does kill them.  it kills adults and larvae.  it doesnt kill the pupae life stage so if you only use it for one month then those will hatch into adults and your problem starts all over again. :(

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:42 AM

fleas are evil...i defy anyone to prove that they serve an ecological purpose.

That said, I have only had them once....and I still get the creeps when I feel a bug land on me. They were so bad we had to move. Come to find out that our roomate wasn't treating her room or her cat (a very long hair cat that was the source of the fleas) because our cats were always treated and free of fleas. I actually brought some to my work. It was horrifying. They were in my car, my clothes, embedded in the couches, carpet, EVERYTHING.

We put everything in storage for 6 months while we stayed with my parents and when we moved out I had already treated the carpets in the new place (it wasn't needed the fleas and eggs that lived in the couches were already good and dead).

All I can say is good luck and invest in borax soap for your clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)