• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your best "Accidental" recipe ~ We all have one.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 43 Replies

You know the recipe that you come up with out of no where.  Maybe you have been in a hurry and started to make something & realized you didn't have a ingredient you needed so you had to improvise. 

Mine is lasagna but I didn't have the cottage cheese and needed something good and creamy for a filling like that so I looked in fridge and thought Hmmmm....... I ended up putting the tostitos spinach dip (for chips),  My picky eaters LOVED IT & I did too. 

Your turn..........

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I had never cooked before, but I was house sitting once and had to feed myself, lol! I had some chicken tenderloins and thought "How hard can it be?" So I threw it in a frying pan with some olive oil, garlic salt, oregano and basil...OMG! Talk about YUM!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaPaparazza
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Meatloaf....i had no bread crumbs...so I used crushed tostitos or doritos ...ummmmm yum...more I add a bunch of stuf and everyone loves it...not typical for meat loaf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsSamMerlotte
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM
The only thing I can think of is using homemade foccacia bread(sp?) as pizza dough. It was pretty good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wish4-2more
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I do this all time. I call myself one on those mimic chefs. If I see a pic. of a dish or taste something that I like, I mimic it. I rarely use any recipe ques unless its an advanced meal. My mother hates it when I do it because she is a chef. On the other hand, she likes my food, lol. Just last night I made something: Chicken sausage, Carrots strips, Broccoli, Penne and a sweet thai chili sauce all becuase I saw a pic of something similar. Not sure if the chilli sauce was in it, but I did it anyway. It came out delicious, my daughter and I gobbled it up.

colins_mom
by Heather on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I used rice and regular oat meal!!!

Mine is something that doesn't even have a name. I went to make a hamburger helper and realized I didn't have any milk before I started the mix but had already browned the meat, so I left the water in added noodles, peas, carrots, cream of mushroom soup, cream of broccoli soup and BAM. It was damn good.

Quoting MammaPaparazza:

Meatloaf....i had no bread crumbs...so I used crushed tostitos or doritos ...ummmmm yum...more I add a bunch of stuf and everyone loves it...not typical for meat loaf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaPaparazza
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Hmmmmm....sounds good!!!!

Quoting colins_mom:

Mine is something that doesn't even have a name. I went to make a hamburger helper and realized I didn't have any milk before I started the mix but had already browned the meat, so I left the water in added noodles, peas, carrots, cream of mushroom soup, cream of broccoli soup and BAM. It was damn good.

Quoting MammaPaparazza:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beans13
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
We call it "get down". Lol.

Brown ground beef add steak spice, chili flakes, garlic powder, diced onion, a lot of soy sauce. Simmer in beef broth, once reduced add frozen peas and corn. Serve over rice.

Just experimented one day and came up with this, it is now a family fave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannyLouisiany
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM
that is a great idea!!!!

Quoting colins_mom:

Quoting MammaPaparazza:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramonafrog
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM
3 moms liked this
I love to cook and experiment with different foods. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is my potato casserole recipe. It was a complete accident and has become a favorite of my family and everyone who comes over for a BBQ or some sort of get together. I was going to make potato salad for a BBQ and didn't realize we were out of miracle whip and didn't have time to go to the store so I grabbed a handful of stuff in the fridge and tossed 'em in.
Potatoes
Sour cream
Cream cheese
Butter, salt and pepper
Chopped up cooked bacon
Chopped chives
Mix all ingredients to mashed potato consistency and top with cheddar jack cheese. Toss in oven to melt the cheese. Voila! Soooo yummy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dimples04
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM

we rock  Keep them coming. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)