Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is going to hate me if I say it *update*

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 112 Replies

Update~~So, I took him with me to the grocery store today.  It is just right down the road.  He got in and I asked him to move his seat back because I want him to sit as far back from the airbag as possible.  He pulled down the visor and he goes, "I know mom.  It says that an air bag can cause death to a child 12 and younger and I am like the size of a 10 year old."  Lol, I didn't even have to say much. I agreed with him and said that he will be able to begin riding in the front seat on occasion, but it won't be often since he is still so small. I reminded him that when he does that he needs to move the seat all the way, sit back in the seat, and keep his seatbelt positioned properly. He totally agreed and understood my concern.

He was ecstatic to get to ride in the front seat. He said it made him feel so grown up. It was almost comical that he was so excited about it.

He turned 13 yesterday.  I have told him for years that when he turns 13 that he will be able to start sitting in the front seat of the car.  

Well....I think he is still too small to be in the front seat with an airbag.

He is 4'11" and weighs 60 lbs.  This puts his BMI at 12.  He is so thin that his arms don't get much bigger than his wrists the entire way up.  He just looks like he could break so easily.

I am scared to death to let him sit in the front, but then I start feeling like a crazy, overprotective mom.  He is 13 and in 7th grade and I am scared to let him sit in the front seat of the dang car.

This is him:

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollinicole
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Wow is he small....I know some 6 year olds that are 5lbs less then him....I don't think I would let him sit there either
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
What are you afraid of exactly? My BMI is low and I drive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyrw
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Wow, my 5 year old is 65lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Doesn't he not meet the weight and height requirements to get out of a booster? I'd just tell him the truth. Oh and the air bag would probably kill him. In my car you have to be over 100 lbs for it to deploy. 

That's a tough one for sure. Good luck with it. 

HayKay
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't let him either. Poor kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy259
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

My son is 12 and he is only allowed in the front seat around town, but he is 5ft 1 and 85lbs

cLanief
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM
hes a teenager! He's not gonna break lol im 3 inches taller than that lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I know. It makes me sad for him.  He is very self-concious of his weight.  He won't wear shorts and always wears baggy clothes to cover up his body.

Quoting hollinicole:

Wow is he small....I know some 6 year olds that are 5lbs less then him....I don't think I would let him sit there either

mommy259
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I am only 5ft and I drive...lol but boy your son sure doesn't look 12 he looks more like he is 8

Aamy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

BMI has nothing to do with sitting in the front seat ....... You promised...... and its not like it would be ALL the time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)