• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goodie bags....kids bday party...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM
  • 21 Replies
Do you give out goodie bags?? Every party I have been to, parents hand them out....is this something you're supposed to do?? I've decided I'm not doing it for the simple fact: I am making everything myself. Butterfly cupcakes, cream cheese penguins, little weenies, meatballs, fruit, veggies, and such. Every party I have been to for a kid, the parents order pizza and order the cake....and since I'm doing it all, I don't think I should have to get junk bags full of thingsthe kids won't play with or want next week. Is this bad?
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
makelineerror
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM
I hate getting goody bags full of crap and I want to know how to make cream cheese penguins.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nancym3
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I think nowdays, it doesn't really matter.  I did for my DD's birthday a few weeks ago, but I got these plastic Tangled cups (Tangled was the theme) for the girls and Toy Story ones for the boys and put stickers, tattoo's, pencils and a little candy in them.  It was fairly cheap.  One of the grocery stores has the theme plastic cups for like $.60 a piece so I didn't spend too much money on them.  Like I said though, I've taken my DD to a few parties that they weren't any goodie bags and didn't think anything of it!  :)

km1970
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I don't do goodie bags.I have never understood the reasoning behind them.  We usually do a pinata or craft type thing at the girls birthday parties so they get to take those home.

andreaw03
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Quoting makelineerror:

I hate getting goody bags full of crap and I want to know how to make cream cheese penguins.

http://rock-ur-party.tablespoon.com/2011/11/08/penguin-appetizers/

Here's the link! I used a cake decorating kit to pipe the room temp cream cheese into my olives!
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM

You don't have to give them out, though it's something I just prefer doing. I make everything myself as well, but not giving out a goody bag would be weird to me. I also don't fill them with stuff that kids won't or not play with later on. I typically fill them with cool pencils, stickers, tattoos, bubbles, bracelets, mini dry erase boards, and something that goes with the theme of the party.

ETA: Instead of the little themed bags that normally hold the loot, I like to use little buckets. Party City carries a ton of different themed buckets for 99 cents each.

andreaw03
Thanks ladies!!
ColinsMommy99
I did it for ds's 3rd birthday, but not this year. I don't care if he comes home with a goodie bag since it's junk most of the time. Took me forever to figure out what to put in the one I did make because I didn't want it to be full of stuff that was cheap and would end up in the trash. But I didn't want it to cost a fortune either. Most parties we've been to don't give them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristy728
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM
My ds is only a year. But for my cousins kids party they normally have a piñata and she just hands out decorative bags to put their goodies in from the piñata. (they have pull string ones now too.) Which is nice for the lil ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I love doing party bags! One year DD had a tea party and I ordered teacups with heart shaped saucers and put fruit flavored tea bags in them, a small spoon and a ring pop in each bag. Those were my favorite bags! When we did the princess party, my friend who makes beaded jewelry made each girl a bracelet with her name, a matching ring and we added a princess reusable cup, princess noepad, pencil and tattoos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mi4339mi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I do...I look at the goodie bags as a "Thank you for coming and for your gift". I also usually make all of the food.

At my son's last party, I didn't do goodie bags but I gave out mini bags of gourmet popcorn from my friends popcorn shop. They were a hit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)