• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your child has speech problems....

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 27 Replies

How old were they when you realized it? 

Our first daughter was speaking clearly by two and we know that it is not the norm, so my husband and I don't know if the way our two year old is speaking is normal or not.  We tried talking to her pediatrician about it, but she wouldn't listen to our concerns. 

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karmasabitch178
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM
It was when she was 13 months. Our newborn was getting shots and my dd looked like she wanted to say something but she couldn't. She never said mama or dada intill she was 2.5. I had her evaluated at 2 and they said she was on a 16 month old level. She will be 4 next month and she still doesn't speak in complete sentences. She will be going to school soon for speech therapy. She went last year and she learned how to sign.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingwifey
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

With my oldest when he was 13 months old and the twins, well we knew they would have a speech delay but they were 11 weeks early.  

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

My first had issues, we new by 2 1/2-3 but he went to speech at 4. He had an articulation problem, when he was evaluated they only could understand 20% of what he said. He went to speach for 1 1/2 years going on day a week for an hour or so and he reached aged level speach

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM

my middle son who is now four wasnt even babbling by age one. The pedi asked if he was at his checkup and I said no. he ordered a kind of hearing test and he flatlined on the test, He had so much pressure due to fluid buildup and he was hearing as if he was hearing headphones.

we dont know how much hearing loss he has if any because he is scared of the hearing test machine. but he is talking about a three year old level and is a little immature for his age

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM

We noticed it by the time she was 2.  Maybe a little earlier than that.  Took her in and then got her accessed and they said she was significantly delayed.  She will be 4 in April and still delayed.

periwinkle163
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My dd really wasn't a talker at all until age 2. When she was almost 3 the dr. realized that she was switching consonants in an odd way. She has an articulation disorder that she has been working on in speech for 2 years now. She is pretty understandable now but it's been a long road to get here. We could understand everything she said but others could only understand maybe 20-30 percent of what she would say. Now it's closer to 85 percent.

art.diva
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Our daughter didn't start saying mama and daddy, or babbling at all on a regular basis until she was two.  She can't pronounce most of her letters, and we can't understand half of what she says.  The way she talks is just...odd.  I have a sister who is deaf in one ear, and she has speech delays.  But my daughter's speaking sounds even worse than hers when my sister was that age.

Quoting silverdawn99:

my middle son who is now four wasnt even babbling by age one. The pedi asked if he was at his checkup and I said no. he ordered a kind of hearing test and he flatlined on the test, He had so much pressure due to fluid buildup and he was hearing as if he was hearing headphones.

we dont know how much hearing loss he has if any because he is scared of the hearing test machine. but he is talking about a three year old level and is a little immature for his age

GirlWithANikon
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

1.5 she wasn't speaking at all.

-CherryBlossom-
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM

When she was about 2. She never said a word and I would see a lot of other kids her age and younger saying full sentences. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM
16 months. He had been on par for his speech and then went non-verbal. His pediatrician wouldn't listen to me and wasn't going to worry until he was 3. Luckily we had to see a PT for something else and that therapist pushed for a speech eval.

He just graduated from speech therapy last month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)