Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unique name spellings (spin off from another post)

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think that unique name spellings are confusing and could cause a disadvantage in a child's life?

Options:

Yes. I am 17yrs or under

No. I am 17yrs or under

Yes. I am between 18 and 25 yrs of age

No. I am between 18 and 25 yrs of age

Yes. I am between 26 and 35 yrs of age.

No. I am between 26 and 35 yrs of age

Yes. I am between 36 and 45 yrs of age.

No. I am between 36 and 45 yrs of age.

Yes. I am older than 45 yrs of age.

No. I am older than 45 yrs of age.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

Do you think that unique name spellings are confusing and could cause a disadvantage in a child's in life??

Example Jason vs. Jaesyn or Olivia vs. Oliveeya

(I am curious as to the ages of the people who respond to see if it's a generational thing)

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Yes, and I think it's sad the lengths that people will go to in order to be "different" and get attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.knickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
It's stupid. Why give your kid a name that resembles a Harry potter spell?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Think about their futures people.

Ps you made me depressed putting ne ib the 26 - 35 category im only 26 lol and I'm classified with 30 somethings lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.knickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM
It's humiliating for the kid having to spell their name to everyone all the time. Your child is unique and individual they don't need random letters inserted into their name to make them that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheryllinn
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

yes, and i hate that people get all butt hurt when thier childrens names are pronounced wrong........with obviously ridiculous spellings. 

but i really dont give a hoot what other peoples kids are named

Chelsey191
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

My sons name is Kai and it is unique. At age 3 he knows how to spell his name. My name is Chelsey, most people spell it with an A at the end so I had this growing up alot and even still as an adult. It never really bugged me or caused me problems.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I know multiple people who resent their parents for their ridiculous spellings and names

Quoting little.knickers:

It's humiliating for the kid having to spell their name to everyone all the time. Your child is unique and individual they don't need random letters inserted into their name to make them that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texassahm
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

It's a generational thing, it just means you have more in common with a 35yr old than you do with an 18yr old.  Don't take it as an age judgement, just a maturity thing. :)

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

Yes. Think about their futures people.

Ps you made me depressed putting ne ib the 26 - 35 category im only 26 lol and I'm classified with 30 somethings lol

little.knickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Kai is spelt normally though isn't it? It's quite a common name here. I think it's a cute name :)

And Chelsey...yes it's usually spelt Chelsea but its not uncommon to have a y instead. If your name was spelt Chelziey or something like that, that would be a unique/random spelling

Quoting Chelsey191:

My sons name is Kai and it is unique. At age 3 he knows how to spell his name. My name is Chelsey, most people spell it with an A at the end so I had this growing up alot and even still as an adult. It never really bugged me or caused me problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ebbierowe
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I have to spell my name all the time and I am not humilated and wasn't as a kid....DH does too

while I agree there is no need to add letters or replace them with letters that don't fit disagree with the humilating part...

Quoting little.knickers:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)