• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel like kids are being diagnosed as ADHD too much nowadays?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

I think it takes away from the condition and demeans the kids who really have the disorder when many children are being diagnosed as ADHD when in reality, they are just being kids.

Not everyone can sit still for hours at a time and pay attention to subjects they find boring. I know I was really not interested in math and did my share of daydreaming. I wonder if in todays world if I would have been diagnosed as such.

I really feel for the kids who do have ADHD and their parents. It's a real disorder with real world consequences for learning.

So, do you think kids are being diagnosed as ADHD too much? Has anyone said your child might be ADHD when they weren't? I'm just curious..

~Jen-Mom to a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old Aussie! Group owner to Northern Il Moms

Come by my blog for homeschooling tips, thoughts, video game advice and general fun!

http://geekygamergalsmusings.blogspot.com/

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sometimesitis
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS's teacher last year requested that we have him evaluated and put on medication.  I (FYI, ALWAYS follow your heart.  I was weak) took him in to the doctor and because of his paperwork from his teacher, he was put on medication (after we tried the diet for a month).  After a month of meds, I took him off.  Poor man cried all the time.  Teacher was unhappy, but oh well.  He didn't do very well in school last year, but this year, with a new teacher, he is making wonderful grades.  His teacher understands that he is a boy and sometimes, he might act up and not want to do his work.  Especially if it is nice outside because all he thinks about is going out to play.  And eating.  :) 

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I started suspecting that my daughter had it when she was 3 years old. I discussed it with her doctor because it does run in my family along with dyslexia. We of course waited to do anything until she was a bit older and my instincts were right she does have it.  

I do think it happens a lot that kids are misdiagnosed. I was one of them although ADHD was not the diagnoses. Sometimes, it is because the doctors don't know enough about certain things to give you the right diagnoses. I have to bring information with me when I go to new doctors because most have never heard of what I have. 

Lanie_momofone
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM

My DD does have ADD. And i agree with you ...

My cousin was diagnosed as ADHD , my aunt however did not think that was the case ..and felt that she was having anxiety.

Further testing , found out that she did have anxiety and not ADHD.

saltyalley1227
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I totally agree. Kids are kids. Not adults. We don't need to medicate them to make them sit still and have no personalities. Some kids legit need mess for ADHD and it does wonders, but i think they jump the gun on a lot of kids for money and laziness reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
I completely agree. My xmil used to ask if my son had ADHD and all kinds of crap... Then she was actually around kids who have ADHD and stuff and she definitely changed her tune. hes as stubborn and hard headed as his parents and likes to run wild now and again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM
My aunt was told my cousin had add or adhd and needed drugs now. My aunt pulled him from the school and sent him to another school. He was a normal boy.

Imo, there's always going to be mistakes from drs. They're not gods and don't know anything. I fully believe in mommy instinct and know that all kids learn differently. I am not saying there is no such thing, for I know kids who really have it and benefit from the meds. I find it dissapointing that society wants to fix all of its issues with a drug...
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM
I agree and because of it, parents are hesitant to have their kids evaluated because they think it'll be an automatic diagnosis even if it's true in their case. Not sure that made sense but I think kids are diagnosed might not actually have it and kids who have it and need help aren't getting it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookmommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks so..a friend of DS' was having troubles with his teacher because he was talking a lot in class and being fidgety. She of course, suggested the kid might be ADD and maybe the mother should get him tested. I find the kid a normal boy in all ways. He isn't overly hyper or distracted.

I think the schools must be getting some sort of "kickback" in funding or something depending on kids with learning disabilities..

I totally realize it must be hard to teach 28 kids and up day after day but these teachers need to solve the problems some other way, and we as parents need to be pushing for smaller class sizes. It's part of the reason I homeschool.

southernchick06
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookmommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Exactly..I wonder how many doctors say the kid ISN'T ADHD. Parents don't want their kid medicated on a "maybe"..

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree and because of it, parents are hesitant to have their kids evaluated because they think it'll be an automatic diagnosis even if it's true in their case. Not sure that made sense but I think kids are diagnosed might not actually have it and kids who have it and need help aren't getting it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)