Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd's heart is broken and I don't know what to do...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM
  • 53 Replies

My dd (5) drew me a picture of a little girl with a frown and a broken heart. When I asked who it was supposed to be she said, "Me." I asked why her heart was broken and she said because kids are mean to her at school (she's in pre-k). She said they say things to her like she is ugly, has ugly hair, and ugly clothes. Hearing this broke MY heart. I worry about her so much because she is very sensitive. She's always been sort of socially awkward and somewhat of an oddball. She has a very kooky personality, like I did at her age. I was extremely shy and had a hard time making friends for the longest time. I don't want her to go through that. I don't want her to be a target for bullies. I want her to be happy. I don't know what to do. I am getting her into therapy for other reasons. It just makes me so sad. Kids can be so mean! My dd is so not ugly, she's adorable!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM
:( that's so sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM
:-( I am sorry your poor baby is going through this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Aww, that is so sad. Tell her how great she is and I would also look into getting her into other social activities with different groups of people. The more social she becomes the easier it will be for her to make friends and become less awkward around others.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Poor DD. Have you talked to the teacher to find out what exactly is going on?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheatreMom97
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

:(  I'm so sorry.

hollinicole
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Awww poor baby....i
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
You could try to explain that when kids are mean to her it's their problem, and she's perfect the way she is. My grandma told us to tell kids "that's okay, you're not in my audience." Lol, kids are baffled by it, which is why it works. Recently, my 8 year old niece had the opportunity to try this out. Now, all the kids think she's very sophisticated lol.
Just keep telling her she's perfect. That's all we can do as parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetcherry_59
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
I'm so sorry :( kids are mean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cherish77
by Cherish on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Im sorry, its sad how mean kids can be, even at pre-K, luckily ds hasn't dealt with that yet, but dd says there are some mean kids in her class.  She is in 3rd grade.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I would set up a meeting with her teacher. Let her know what your DD has told you. Her teacher can then "talk" or make a few lessons regarding feelings. I'm sorry momma its heartbreaking for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)