• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Removing Craigslist.........and other rogue sites

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 24 Replies

http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

The corporations whose lobbyists drafted SOPA and PIPA want the ability to block you from reaching any web site they feel hurts their profits -- without due process, or review in any court -- by interrupting Internet traffic via DNS corruption and by censoring search results. Hoping you won't notice,Congress is actually preparing to give them that right.

For example, Monster Cable considers craigslist a "rogue site" for takedown under PIPA - they want to prevent YOU from selling YOUR unwanted cables, by removing craigslist from the Internet entirely (!), so they can increase their sales of new cables! Many other "rights holders" want to be able to do the same. (Boycott anyone? There's an app for that.)

Let Congress know you OPPOSE H.R. 3261 "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) and S. 968 "Protect IP Act" (PIPA):

Supporters of SOPA: RIAA, MPAA, News Corporation, VISA, Mastercard, Pfizer, Comcast, Time Warner, ABC, Nike, Walmart, Dow Chemical, Tiffany, Chanel, Rolex, Monster Cable, Teamsters, Lamar Smith (R-TX), John Conyers (D-MI)

Opponents of SOPA: Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, eBay, AOL, Mozilla, Reddit, Tumblr, Etsy, Zynga, EFF, ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Darrell Issa (R-CA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Ron Paul (R-TX)

Where does your Member of Congress stand on SOPA? (Project SOPA Opera)

SOPA and PIPA Are Too Dangerous To Revise, They Must Be Killed Entirely 

Congress needs to hear from you, or these dangerous bills will pass - they have tremendous lobbying dollars behind them, from large corporations reportedly hoping to prop up outdated, anti-consumer business models at the expense of the very fabric of the Internet -- recklessly unleashing a tsunami of take-down notices and litigation, and a Pandora's jar of "chilling effects" and other unintended (or perhaps intended?) consequences.

There is still time to be heard. Congress is starting to backpedal on this job-killing, anti-American nonsense, and the Obama administration has weighed in against these bills as drafted, but SOPA/PIPA cannot be fixed or revised -- they must be killed altogether.

Sen Darrell Issa (R-CA) and Rep Ron Wyden (D-OR) are championing an alternative to SOPA/PIPA called Online Protection and Enforcement of Digital Trade Act (OPEN) that focuses on cutting off payments to foreign sites dedicated to piracy, and refrains from disrupting basic Internet protocols, or threatening mainstream US sites like craigslist.

Tim O'Reilly, a publisher who is himself subject to piracy, asks whether piracy is even a problem, and whether there is even a legitimate need for any of these bills

Learn more about SOPA, Protect IP (PIPA), and Internet Blacklisting:

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    Billsbabygirl
    by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    I love craigslist.... It's my fav site
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    jillbailey26
    by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    2 moms liked this

People will just go back to yard sales more and probably build a website to advertise those.

Maybe I'm onto something...hmmm....

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

xo.MommyW.xo
    1 mom liked this
    The president does not support it and will lobby against it. I read it yesterday
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    smtxcowgirl
    by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    1 mom liked this
    The ones who want this SOPA law have admitted they don't know how the internet works. They'll be killing everything technologically if this stupid law is passed.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    mommysangelface

so do i

Quoting Billsbabygirl:

I love craigslist.... It's my fav site

mommysangelface
    by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

bump

SnapIt
    by Movin' on up on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    1 mom liked this

LOL I just had the same idea!

Quoting jillbailey26:

People will just go back to yard sales more and probably build a website to advertise those.

JoshRachelsMAMA
    by JRM on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    What's craigslist's take on this?
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    jillbailey26
    by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I call copyright!!!!  LOL

Quoting SnapIt:

LOL I just had the same idea!

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

wonderwomanT08
    by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    That sucks! I advertise my daycare on there!
    FYI there is more to craiglist than garage sales ladies.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)