Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is the difference between cuban, dominic, regular spanish?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM
  • 20 Replies
I hope I phrase this question correctly because its not met to be offensive ... OK here goes... what is the difference between Spanish, Cuban Spanish Dominic Spanish etc... I know people in my neighborhood are from Dominic republic and speak Spanish but everyone who visits from the west coast (Mexico Spanish) asks what language they speak because its different from what they hear and speak in Callie . Can anyone explain it to me? Before moving here I always assumed all Spanish was somewhat universal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
art.diva
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Its the same as the difference between English in America, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc.  Each one has its own accent, slang, and phrasing.

Elayna90
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Different accent and different words. Every place has their own dialect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyoftwo103
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

It's Dominican Republic.. Different countries, different dialects. 

.betty.white.
by bilf on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Got it! Now on the west coast they teach "Mexico " Spanish ... on the east coast do they teach other dialects?

Quoting art.diva:

Its the same as the difference between English in America, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc.  Each one has its own accent, slang, and phrasing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

They have different dialects, different accents.  I speak Castilian Spanish and have a really hard time understanding Mexicans because they use a lot of slang and their accents make it difficult to understand.  I can get the gist of what they're saying but word for word I'm lost.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

The dialect is sometimes very different.  It's all derived from Castilian Spanish that has been regionally mutilated!

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Cubans are from Cuba.  Dominicans are from Dominican Republic.  Spanish people are from Spain.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

NO WAY......  The spanish you are taught in school is formal spanish.  Each region has its own dialect/slang with a base of "formal" spanish.   I had a cuban teacher for one year of spanish and she taught a few of the variations of words at our request.  Usually if you speak spanish you can sort of get your idea across to another spanish based speaker.   Even in spain there are 4 or 5 different spanish dialects depending on region.   Just like in the US each region has their own English dialect and different words/phrases for things.

.betty.white.
by bilf on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM
What is that? Castilian? I've never herd that before

Quoting Dzyre1115:

The dialect is sometimes very different.  It's all derived from Castilian Spanish that has been regionally mutilated!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
art.diva
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

They teach Castilian Spanish in schools

Quoting .betty.white.:

Got it! Now on the west coast they teach "Mexico " Spanish ... on the east coast do they teach other dialects?

Quoting art.diva:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)