Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottle Feeding Questions

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM
  • 30 Replies

Doesn't matter if it is breast milk or formula (or both), just want to know a few things.

Bottles:
How many bottles do you have?
Does baby prefer one over the others?
Do you have a favorite brand of bottles?
Do you use the bottle bag inserts?
Do the nipples get worn out/chew on/need replacing?
How often do you sterilize/boil them? (Do you have a special sterilizing machine?)
Do you use a bottle warmer?

Formula:
What kind of formula do you use?
What kind of water do you use to mix the formula?
Do you boil the water before you use it?
What do you use to bring formula with you when you go out?
What water do you use you when you go out?

Breast milk (from bottle):
How much milk do you keep on hand?:
How often do you pump (and how many ounces do you pump)?
Do you ever get milk donations to help feed your baby or donate your leftover supply?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaygarcia97
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

We have five bottles. Four are Dr. Browns & one is Playtex. I prefer the Dr. Browns but they are expensive. We usually have to replace nipples every 3 months sometimes quicker. I usually sterilize them in super hot water. 

Lilly takes Gerber Good State Gentle Plus and just regular ol water. I have a little disc from Walmart that holds 3 servings of formula for when we are out in public. 

RoguesMommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quoting Callistocy:

Doesn't matter if it is breast milk or formula (or both), just want to know a few things.

Bottles:
How many bottles do you have? 10
Does baby prefer one over the others? yes, their suction is better on others
Do you have a favorite brand of bottles? Avent
Do you use the bottle bag inserts? No
Do the nipples get worn out/chew on/need replacing? Chewed when theyr too old for them, but otherwise no. Iv broke the nipple cleaning them before
How often do you sterilize/boil them? (Do you have a special sterilizing machine?) my dishwasher has a sanatize cycle
Do you use a bottle warmer? No

Formula:
What kind of formula do you use? Similac
What kind of water do you use to mix the formula? tap
Do you boil the water before you use it? yes
What do you use to bring formula with you when you go out? Formula dispenser
What water do you use you when you go out? bottled

How much milk do you keep on hand?: im always 2-3 feedings ahead
How often do you pump (and how many ounces do you pump)? 3 times a day and get 9oz
Do you ever get milk donations to help feed your baby or donate your leftover supply? iv gotten donated milk before and iv donated my left overs too.

OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
I bottle fed. I used doctor browns bottles. I loved then but they have a lot of parts so were annoying to wash. I had like 15 or more. They don't use the insert bags. I boiled them once a week. I used a pot on the stove, no machine. They were the only ones he used so I guess that was his preference lol. I gave him them at room temperature so no bottle warmer.

I used similac advance or something (it was a blue tin that's all I remember lol). The water I used was the nursery water with the pink cap. I forget what it's called. I didn't boil, just room temperature. When we went out I would fill the bottles with water and similac had little to go packs so I would just add it to the water when it was time for him to eat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I used the evenflow bottles with the plastic inserts -he didn't like a traditional bottle nipple.

Yes you will have to replace the nipples over time. 

I only had to sterilize the nipples - since I used bags i boiled the nipples

I did not use a bottle warmer

I dont remember the brand it was 18 years ago. I used botled water, no I didn't boil it. I would make up a number of bottles that I would need where everI was going to - or if it was a prolonged period of time - i would bring bottled water and some powder.

MamaTasha08
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Woah, that's a lot of questions!  Honestly, I don't remember all of that. (my son will be 4 on Wednesday)  I do remember that I loved the playtex drop in bottles.  My son was mostly breastfed.

AjsMom0508
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Quoting Callistocy:

Bottles:
How many bottles do you have?  I had 15-20 for DS
Does baby prefer one over the others?  He preferred MAM as a newborn as he got older he would use MAM or Playtex (VentAire or Drop-ins)
Do you have a favorite brand of bottles?  I love MAM and Playtex
Do you use the bottle bag inserts?  Some of my bottles had bag inserts.  They were great.  I only needed a few (2 four and 2 eight ounce) outer hard sleeves and extra nipples to have a whole days worth of bottles.
Do the nipples get worn out/chew on/need replacing?  I never had to replace nipples.  DS never used more than a slow flow nipple from birth on.  They all held up for the whole 18 months he used bottles.
How often do you sterilize/boil them? (Do you have a special sterilizing machine?)  I sterilized them once before the first use and never again the entire time he used bottles.  I did have a sterilizer.  Biggest waste of money ever!
Do you use a bottle warmer?  I did not.  I heated the water separately then added it to the formula.

Formula:
What kind of formula do you use?  I used an amino acid based formula made by enfamil.
What kind of water do you use to mix the formula?  Water that had been through reverse osmosis.
Do you boil the water before you use it?  I never did.
What do you use to bring formula with you when you go out? A formula holder.  I usually carried enough formula for 4-6 bottles.
What water do you use you when you go out?  I took water from home.  I would heat it up to boiling and keep it in a thermos.  I would also take cool water to add to the hot.

How much milk do you keep on hand?:
How often do you pump (and how many ounces do you pump)?
Do you ever get milk donations to help feed your baby or donate your leftover supply?

ae2011
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM
I use Playtex drop ins, my son is eating more now so I just had to buy the 8oz bottle liners lol I use Gerber water, it's only $1 a gallon at walmart. Right now he is using the slow flow nipples and he's 3 months old so I might get new ones soon. I have about 6 bottles but only 2 nipples and I buy bottle liners about one box every week. He likes it room temperature so no boiling water, plus its already purified anyway. I make a 6 oz bottle to put in the diaper bag unless were gone for more than 2 hours, then I'll put in a few playtex bottles of gerber water and some formula already measured out in a formula dispenser. I use Similac sensitive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM
I used Playtex dropins, and I had about 10. I loved them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I also used nestle good start and took the whole damn thing with me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Quoting Callistocy:

Bottles:
How many bottles do you have? 8, that was enough to get us through an entire day feeding every 3 hours.
Does baby prefer one over the others? My DS liked the Dr. Browns, my DD had to have Evenflo with a large nipple because she had a high palette.
Do you use the bottle bag inserts? We didn't.
Do the nipples get worn out/chew on/need replacing? No.
How often do you sterilize/boil them? (Do you have a special sterilizing machine?) I washed them on the top rack of the dishwasher and had a basket for the nipples.
Do you use a bottle warmer? No. We bought one but never used it.

Formula:
What kind of formula do you use? Soy, Parents Choice with DS and a special, very expensive formula with DD, Nutramigen.
What kind of water do you use to mix the formula? Boiled, tap water.
Do you boil the water before you use it? Yes
What do you use to bring formula with you when you go out? We pre made our bottles for the entire day in the morning and put them in the fridge.
What water do you use you when you go out? See above answer.

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)