Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pretzel/bread stick recipe?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was wondering if anyone has a easy and good tasting recipe for homemade pretzels and bread sticks? I've looked in my recipe groups and haven't found one and I've also looked through all my cook books. I'd like to find one that uses all purpose flour because that is the only kind of flour I have. So if you ladies have one please share! Thanks

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I have this one for pretzels:

Ingredients

• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup bread flour
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 tablespoons baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.
  2. Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan. Line 6 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution. Place onto parchment covered baking sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.

Footnotes

• Editor's Note
  • When forming the ropes, roll each one to about half the length you want, then set it aside while you roll the rest. By the time you get back to the first rope, it will have rested enough to roll further.
  • A 3-foot long rope will make a pretzel approximately 8-inches in diameter. Plan on using one baking sheet for every two pretzels.
I think it came from AllRecipes.com.
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM

This is my favorite breadsticks recipe, since we like soft ones:

Ingredients

• 1 1/8 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted

Directions

1. In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 20 portions. Shape each into a ball; roll each into a 9-in. rope. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush warm breadsticks with butter.

I think this came from Allrecipes.com, too.

loves4mama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Yummy thank you! I've been trying to find a way to get my kids helping with dinner more and this will be perfect.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I just use my bread recipe.

For 2 loaves it's 6 or 7 cups of flour, 4 tsp yeast, 1 tblsp sugar, 1 tblsp salt, 3-4 tblsp EVOO, Veg oil, or other fat, 2 cups very warm water. Mix the dry ingredients and the oil, add the water, mix until a dough forms.  Knead for a few minutes until its' smooth & elastic.

For pretzels and bread sticks, I don't let it rise more than 1/2 hours.  Form into shapes, sprinkle a bit of salt and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes until golden.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)