Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what point would you put a dog down?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM
  • 23 Replies

my dog is 11. She has one bad front leg and one bad back leg. She has a tumor in her gums that will cost a lot to remove with a lazer, she lives with my parents and they cant afford it and neither can we. not sure if its cancer or not but dr said it could always come back.

she doesnt walk well and wont walk far to potty, wont use the stairs anymore but shes still very bright eyed and tries to play. She barks, gets excited and cuddles.

im not ready to let my dog go, but my parents say its time. I told them well take her because they want to put her down if she stays there.

at what point is it right to put down a dog?

i feel like wht if she was a person, we dont just kill people...im finding it hard to feel like she shouldnt get the same respect.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this

quality over quantity.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM
It sounds like she has no quality of life left. I would give her a few really great days of love and treats and have her out down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kc932
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM

From what you have said, it's time. I know what you are saying and how you feel but it is probably time. 

ambersmommy730
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM
When it's clear that a dog is suffering more than living. I'm sorry, but it sounds like your dog is suffering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoguesMommy

i cant do this

crying

FooLynRoo

seems like her quality of life isn't suffering.

I wouldn't put her down based on what you just posted.

How much is the laser surgery?

jmgarzamom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM
All I can say is talk to your vet. If her quality of life is still good she is not in constent pain which she sounds like shes not then let her be till her body decideds it has had enough.

We have an old girl who is about 12 or 13 now & she has very little teeth gets cold often & has accidents sometimes. But we love her & her vet says as long as we give her mushy dog food & clean up her mess she may live till 16 or longer. She is gray haired & her tounge sticks out of her mouth but we are going to be as loyal to her as she has been to us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Our rule of thumb is...if we see the pet is physically hurting, limping, unable to get up comfortably, no longer able to control their stool or urine...then it is time. Quality of life.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

my dog is 4 he has one bad rear leg and one bad front leg.

He doesn't really run too much anymore and hesitates to climb stairs most of the time.

He's not ready to be put down.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Quoting PinkyPan:

Our rule of thumb is...if we see the pet is physically hurting, limping, unable to get up comfortably, no longer able to control their stool or urine...then it is time. Quality of life.

just for those things in red or in corelation with the bowels?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)