Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 year old with dirt bike?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM
  • 9 Replies
My DS has always wanted to stay inside and watch TV. No playing outside, well my mom has a new boyfriend with a 7 year old and 5 year old... they both got mini electric dirt bikes for Christmas and DS is green with envy. We told him he's got two months till his bday and he could get one only if he is ready to ride without training wheels by then. He has spent 2 hours today slowly moving down our street and back. He's had his bike for 2 years and never would ride it. I really want him to be a boy and want to be out there playing.... the dirt bike is electric so it runs off 2 12v batteries like what's in power wheels and it's top speed is 15 MPH my moms bf lets his kids ride without a helmet....not gonna happen in our house bit the bike is the same size as his bike now. It just goes faster. Do you think if he is ready to ride without training wheels and does it fairly well that the dirt bike would be ok?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
alwayskk
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Nope. But it's your kid.

mom2monsterboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM
They make training wheels for the minis. Id start with them first, then take them off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Really? I didn't know that.... I have been looking at them very closley cause they freak me out but I saw the 7&5 year old riding today and they are actually small enough for DD who is 2 the 7 year old looked cramped on his.... they handled them very well but I this k its crazy to let your kids ride that without full body armor lol. These kids were standing up on the seats while riding.... scared me to death.

Quoting mom2monsterboys:

They make training wheels for the minis. Id start with them first, then take them off.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmsbowtie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM
My kids have both been riding since they were 4. On theirs it had a governor that would slow their bike to almost a crawl and came with a remote control kill switch for the parent to hold on to. We have always had the helmet rule also chest protectors, neck brace and boots, if they don't have them on they don't ride period even now at 16 and 13
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2monsterboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Lol yeah. My hubs whole family are country folk and the kids all get their first mini around 3. Just use a dirt bike helmet (not a regular one, they have different safety levels) and pads. He'll be ok for the most part mama :)

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Really? I didn't know that.... I have been looking at them very closley cause they freak me out but I saw the 7&5 year old riding today and they are actually small enough for DD who is 2 the 7 year old looked cramped on his.... they handled them very well but I this k its crazy to let your kids ride that without full body armor lol. These kids were standing up on the seats while riding.... scared me to death.

Quoting mom2monsterboys:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Dang I want one of those lol I want a kill switch... the one we are looking at is a razor pocket bike actually. I wanted his to be a lil different than the other boys

Quoting jmsbowtie:

My kids have both been riding since they were 4. On theirs it had a governor that would slow their bike to almost a crawl and came with a remote control kill switch for the parent to hold on to. We have always had the helmet rule also chest protectors, neck brace and boots, if they don't have them on they don't ride period even now at 16 and 13

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2angels427
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM

that's really cool!!  he will love it!!  and absolutely it's okay.. your heart will about jump out of your chest the first time he gets on... but, you'll survive and so will he!!  good luck momma!

BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Thank you!

Quoting mommy2angels427:

that's really cool!!  he will love it!!  and absolutely it's okay.. your heart will about jump out of your chest the first time he gets on... but, you'll survive and so will he!!  good luck momma!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)