Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CHAI TEA ANYONE?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

So, i have a small addiction to Dunkin Donuts vanilla chai tea lattes.  I have tried several store bought concentrates & scoured the internet, but I can't find a copycat recipe for it.  Anyone know of a great chai tea recipe (I have Tazo chai tea bags already) that mirrors Dunkin Donuts?  The closest Dunkin Donuts is about 40 minutes away.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I love Bigalow Chai Tea.....They have a great Vanilla Chai Tea Also

I found a recipe a few months ago....let me go look for it

raegansmom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM

BUMP!  I can't be the only one who loves chai tea!?!

ColieO
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I second Bigelow. It's amazing!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM

HOMEMADE CHAI TEA

Add to My Recipe Box Add to My Shopping List

Rated  by 9 people

Serves 4

Making this tea from scratch is easier than you might think. Simply steepblack tea with cinnamon, cardamom, clove and ginger. You'll appreciate how the spicy fragrances fill your kitchen. Dairy, soy or almond milk can be used in this recipe. Enjoy hot or iced.

Ingredients

1 cinnamon stick 
6 whole green cardamom pods 
6 whole cloves 
1 (1-inch) piece ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced 
4 whole black peppercorns 
3 cups water 
2 single-serve black tea bags or 1 tablespoon loose black tea 
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar 
1 cup low-fat milk

Method

Ingredient Options: Use non-dairy milk for a vegan version. 

Place cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger, peppercorns and water into a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to let steep for 10 minutes. 

Return pot to the heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea, cover and set aside to let steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, then return liquid to the pot. Stir in sugar and milk and heat over low heat for 1 minute. Pour into cups and serve.

Nutrition

Per serving (about 8 fl oz): 50 calories (5 from fat), 0.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 10g total carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 2g protein

Tags: IndianWheat FreeVegetarianLow SodiumLow FatGluten Free

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM

How to Make Chai

Here is a simple recipe to make chai yourself at home. This is what you will need:

• 1 1/2 cups of water

• 1 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon

• cardamom pods

• 8 whole cloves

• 1/4 inch fresh ginger root (sliced thin)

• 2/3 cup of milk

• 6 teaspoons sugar

• 3 teaspoons of Darjeeling Tea leaves

Place water, cinnamon, cardamomcloves, and ginger in a pot and bring to a boil.

Cover and lower heat to low setting and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add milk and sugar and again bring to simmer.

Next, add the tea leaves, remove from heat and cover.

Let steep for 3 minutes and strain. Enjoy!

Host a wine tasting party with the 2BASnob downloadable kit and learn about wine while having fun with your friends!

Ready to Brew!

These ready to brew teas are already spiced and in bags or available as loose leaf. This is my preferred method because most of the time I just don't have time to brew from scratch.

For an authentic tasting cup with spices that make your tastebudsscream for more, you should try this Kashmiri Chai. I love how you can buy a small sample or buy in large quantities.

Easy to Make Chai Tea

For those times when you just want to add hot water, here are some recommendations. For the ultimate in convenience, try the powdered chai. Big Train Spiced Chai is one of my favorites. All you have to do is add hot water or milk.

The next is an even easier method. This is a liquid chai concentrate and all you need to do is to add milk and heat. Here is a great tastingTazo® Organic Chai Tea  Tazo is the brand of tea served in Starbucksand I think it's actually quite good.

Chai Latte

I just love a good chai latte! A chai latte is just the spiced tea mixed with milk that’s steamed from an espresso machine. I love the soft foamy texture the steamed milk adds to the chai.

You can get these at coffee houses, or if you can make them yourself if you have an espresso machine. I have detailed instructions onsteaming (or frothing) milk in the coffee section of this site.

You can follow the above directions just don’t add the milk. This makes a strong tea. Then add the steamed milk straight from the espresso machine.

Practice to make velvety steamed milk and use fresh ingredients. This will insure that you make the perfect chai tea latte.

1likeme
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I just add raw honey to mine. I love it.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Vanilla & Honey Chai Tea

This recipe has no photos

Add Your Photos

Total Time:

Prep Time:

Cook Time:

13 mins

5 mins

8 mins

MoonCookie's Note:

This Chai Tea is a steamy sip of bliss. It's simple to make, and it infuses your home with an intoxicating aroma while it's brewing on ...

Ingredients:

Servings:

Units: US | Metric

Directions:

1. 1
    When you are making brewed tea, it is important to use a pot that has NOT had regular use for greasy foods, tomato sauces, or soups.
  2. 2
    I reserve a medium pot exclusively for boiling water for tea.
  3. 3
    Of course, I am fussy about my tea.
  4. 4
    Good tasting tea needs good tasting water in a clean pan.
  5. 5
    Use a good bottled water from a natural spring if it's a available.
  6. 6
    It does make a difference, and so does the tea your using.
  7. 7
    A quality organic tea, i.
  8. 8
    e.
  9. 9
    ,St Balfours or Infusions, makes a cup of tea over which you will want to linger.
  10. 10
    The bouquet and body of organic teas are superior to other commerical teas.
  11. 11
    While your tea is brewing, warm a teapot and/or the cups that you will be using.
  12. 12
    Fill them with hot water, and let them sit under a cotton kitchen towel until you are ready to serve the tea.
  13. 13
    At high heat, boil the 4 cups of water containing the cardamom pods, ginger, cloves, vanilla and the pinch of salt (optional) for 5 minutes.
  14. 14
    Add the tea bags and simmer 3 to 4 minutes.
  15. 15
    Add the milk, and increase the heat until the mixture boils.
  16. 16
    Watch the mixture closely at this stage, so the milk won't scald.
  17. 17
    Occasionally, stir the tea.
  18. 18
    Remove from the heat, and strain the tea into the warmed teapot or cups.
  19. 19
    Add clover honey to taste.

Read more: http://indian.food.com/recipe/vanilla-honey-chai-tea-87063#ixzz1jaBsp3aC
raegansmom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Thanks  :o)

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Coffee Bean and Leaf has the best Chi Tea on ice :)

tinadf7
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I buy Oregon chai concentrate and do half milk half concentrate. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)