Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do antidepressants state that they can increase depression?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM
  • 30 Replies
I was put on pristiq by my dr. & it fucks me up. I get very dizzy, have no appetite (haven't eaten hardly anything in 4 days), it knocks me out, &I see firefly type floaty lights sometimes.

I'm highly sensitive to meds, possibly because I never really would take them. Now, I'm on this pristiq, klonopin & trazodone. I feel better symptom wise, but a lot worse physically. Ugh

Now, reading the info packet, it says it can actually increase depression. Wtf? I thought it was supposed to stop depression? I'm so confused :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cake.Lady
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Lol @ the double negative
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cake.Lady
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mydebbers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Klonipin, and trazadone can make you depressed, cause those meds make you feel like you just want to sit around and be lazy.  Klonipin knocks me out, and trazadone is an antidepressant but its SO SO strong that they started using it as a sleep aide.  Do you mind me asking what time of the day you are taking these? That can affect it as well

Pogostick
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

IME if it increases something, you don't need it. What was there reasoning for putting you on it?? And I believe Pristiq is supposed to enhance an anti-depressant, not that it's an anti-depressant itself

liz.1986
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Because they can. My antidepressants made me suicidal and I had to stop taking them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Saying it can and saying it always does are two different things.

proudmommy92
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Actually medications affect each person differntly. Some anti-depressents can work well for one person but awful for another. It based on brain chemicals- and how fast your body reacts to it as well as how fast/slowly it goes into your system.

I tried one anti-depressent. Didnt do ANYTHING. i tried another and my way of thinking changed in a week. It was very odd.

But yes usually these side effects wear off between 1-7 weeks. And you'll get the positive side effects instead of the negatives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2dane07
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I was just thinking the same thing! I was watching a commercial that said depression may worsen. I was like wth!? I took pristiq and my appetite went away too. I actually really liked it except my blood pressure was going up because of it so I changed to prozac. It seems to work good too and doesn't make me sleepy or have bad side effects. I hope you get straightened out I know how frustrating it can be trying to find the one that works the best for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM

If you DON'T have depression, and you take depression meds, it can make you HAVE depression. 

PEEK05
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this

For some people, a certain medication can have the opposite effect. I was on an anti-depressant as a teenager, and it made me worse. I was depressed but not to the point of being suicidal but on the medicine, I wanted to kill myself so bad and I had no idea why. One night, I was about ready to do it but at the very last moment, I ran to my mom's bedroom crying and confessed everything. I also didn't eat and lost about 15 pounds (I was only 120 pounds before the weight loss at the time). Once I got off the medication, I started eating again and had no more suicidal thoughts. I just used other forms of coping for what sent me in a depression anyway, and I was able to get out of my depression on my own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)