Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horrible terrible no good very bad day (long, sorry)

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
  • 40 Replies

Have any of you ladies broken a limb and had to care for a toddler? How did you do it? Im going crazy over here!!!!!

I broke my foot on friday (my bday! although it was friday the 13th so i should have known something would happpen), my DS is 21 months old and still depends on me for alot, but now even the simplest things are the biggest chore, even getting him a cup of milk, having to go back and forth for the cup and milk and putting it back, all while trying to balance on 1 foot that is naturally not your strongest (my left) and my back hurts from standing off balance all day, and trying not to make a mess while im doing it. Seems like now when i go to grab something out of the fridge, something else falls out and just picking it up is a chore, having to re-balance and try not to fall over. Everything hurts, head,neck and back hurts from standing funny, my arms, wrists, and the palm of my hands hurt from the crutches, my left leg hurts from standng on it so much, and my right leg well cause my foot is broken and i have to hold it up so much.

Aside from the physical pain, there is the mental part where i feel like a crappy mom cause i cant even stand up and cuddle my baby, I cant pick him up and take him anywhere not to the crib for nap or bed time not to the changing table (and getting him to follow you is almost impossible with out a bribe), i cant drive so im stuck here. I cant take a shower, only a bath and i have to crawl over the sliding shower door rails to get in and out, and stupid things like this make me feel pathetic!!!! I cant hardly clean the house, or make a meal just picking up the living room is an hour long chore, then i got to find a way to get the bag/box of toys ect down the skinny hall to the bedroom with out falling over. The meds just make me feel dopey and out of it and does nothing for the pain.

All my friends say their willing to help but only 1 has a car to get here and bless her heart she has been so helpful that i dont feel i should keep asking for help.

Im sorry that i keep rambling on, i just feel like crap all around and needed to vent.

So have any of you ever had a broken limb and felt useless and just completely drained? How do/did you deal with it and not go craaaaaazy!!!???

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
egyptian_mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM
(Hugs) hope it heals quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Want to share my chocolate wine and belly flops? It might make you feel better...

((HUGS)) 

alishabear0808
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I broke my foot last may my dd was 13 months old and not walking at the time... We also lived in a 2 story and the bedrooms were upstairs... I don't remember how I got through it, but I do remember having the same feelings that you are!!! Hope you heal fast ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinadf7
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM
My aunt moved in two days after I broke mine. Luckily she was moving in anyway already. I did buy a walker with a seat and I put my knee on the seat then wheeled around and bonus, the kids like to go for rides so getting them to bed wasn't so rough. The seat also makes a good tray for fixing lunch ( getting things out and putting them back )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemybaby42310
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SuperPickle:

Want to share my chocolate wine and belly flops? It might make you feel better...

((HUGS)) 

Im so jealous! I love belly flops! They have lots of mulitples tuck together...mmmmm...enjoy for me :)

Lovemybaby42310
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Quoting tinadf7:

My aunt moved in two days after I broke mine. Luckily she was moving in anyway already. I did buy a walker with a seat and I put my knee on the seat then wheeled around and bonus, the kids like to go for rides so getting them to bed wasn't so rough. The seat also makes a good tray for fixing lunch ( getting things out and putting them back )

how much was it?

brandyluzdavid
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM
I had a broke arm (elbow) when my boys was about 7 months, and my oldest was 16 months. Hun if someone is offering to help, TAKE IT!

I didn't have help, it was horrific! If you really don't the help, I would try to explain to your LO that you're hurt and need to rest. It might not be easier, but they will want to try to help you. Make it a game to clean up, you can play I spy, or mommy picks up baby puts up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceemuhreeashbee
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM
You're doing the best you can mama! It will be okay :) I fell down the stairs and tore ligamets.. had to wear a boot for a few weeks. I had to take care of a 4 year old and a 16 month old (at the time:)). It's do-able, you'll figure out a routine that works for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather.marie08
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM
I broke my hand when my son was 4 months old. It was extremely hard. But it gets easier with time. I had to learn to pick him up, dress him and diaper him with one hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandyluzdavid
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Btw hope your foot heals soon!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)