Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are divorced...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

How much did it cost you? What were the circumstances...contested, uncontested, kids, no kids, etc??

My SO has been asking me to put off our divorce for various reasons, but most recently he asked me to wait until tax time so that he could pay his half. Well, I realized that we probably aren't getting anything back and may have to pay a little in.  So, he is still going to be broke. 

I am tired of waiting. I think I am going to go ahead and go to a lawyer this week. I am prepared to put down a $2000 retainer. I am already putting nearly $1000 into my son's orthodontics down payment this week. I am just hoping it isn't much more than that. $3000 is a lot in one week.  :(

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
I got divorced at 18.

It was $270.

Uncontested.

I took the money from his bank account.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.LSU
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
I heard someone say they had to pay 100 or 300 something like that. Louisiana. Idk how true it is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM

My retainer was 5000 and it has cost me about 5000 more then that because my ex had to be difficult about everything. 

3earthangels
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM
We did not have a lawyer, worked everything out ourselves. Uncontested, no fault divorce. It cost just over $200 including filing fees and copies of the divorce decree for both of us.

*edit* one biological child between us, but our custody arrangement is for all 3 children. No CS paid by either of us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM
This the same guy you just pranked, lol?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriaAnn
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM

i paid $260 for an uncontested divorce with 1 child and 1 home, we agreed on custody and who got the house, we never even went to court...i paid my lawyer $260 and we each went to his office at seperate times to sign the papers....60 days later we were legally divorced.

alwayskk
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM

It was less than two grand...about $1800 I think. I had a lawyer, two kids, child support.

It was supposed to be uncontested, but he fought me every step of the way. He never actually retained an attorney for himself (I'm pretty sure that uncontested literally means they don't hire their own lawyer) but he did pay an attorney by the hour to go through our divorce decree line by line and suggest changes.

The original agreement that my lawyer typed up actually gave each of us more rights. His lawyer made suggestions that my ex husband thought were in his best interest but actually reduced both of our rights. For example, my original decree said we have joint legal custody and each of us retained the right to make medical decisions for the children when in our care. His lawyer suggested that we change it to where all medical decisions had to be discussed and agreed upon together, first. So neither of us can make medical decisions without the other.

Not that he uses any of those so-called rights.

Wow, I rambled there.

tayhoff
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Mine cost 800 uncontested. Everything was clear cut on mine and his so the lawyer didn't have to put in alot of work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnm5381no2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I'm in Louisiana and I had an uncontested divorce but when you separate property, debt, vehicles, and custody down to holiday schedules, med insurance and who claims the children on taxes it costs your lawyer hours to spend writing up judgments. My lawyer charged me $2000 for an uncontested divorce that included my custody and his visitation schedule, child support, and alimony.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kr3918
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I paid 150.00 uncontested. We did everything on our own. Well I did. I have full custody of the kids also
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)