• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Premarital Counseling?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM
  • 39 Replies

Hi Ladies,

If you are married, did you and your DH go through pre-marital counseling? Why or why not?

If so, do you feel it was a waste of time or did it help your relationship?

Just curious. I'm not married or engaged, but I hear it is pretty common to get couples counseling before people say their vows.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiznShelk
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I did not but we were not married at a church. Our friends are catholic and just completed marriage counseling. They feel it will be beneficial for them. She said it gave them advice on how to discuss important things like financials and what not. It helped them come together or compromise on things before they happen.

-Strawberry-
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM

We never did that, I think it's kind of silly. If you need counseling before you get married, then you don't need to be getting married in the first place.

ebbierowe
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM
no we didn't go...we got engaged at 16 and 18. We got pregnant and moved in together at 18 and 20. We got married at 20 and 22.

Dh isn't extremely religious and we were so busy just trying to make it on our own I don't think counseling crossed our minds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godgaveme4
1 mom liked this

We took a pre-marital class at our church.  It was great.  I find myself going back and using many of the things we talked about.  We have been married for 12 years.

madcrazymom
Yes we did. We are catholic and had to so we could marry in the church..we learned a lot of valuable information and we do marriage retreats every few years. We've been married 21 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsClark816
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM
We did, although it was more of a "get to know" class for the pastor. it was a requirement from tge church
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs_mom906
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM

We did because the church that we got married at required it. Some of it was a waste, other parts of it was actually very insightful and helpful.

jltplk25
Dh and I did 6 weeks worth of counseling in a couple hours. Didn't do us a bit of good since we were young and 'knew' what we were doing. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xRockaBrittanyx
1 mom liked this

We actually did, but only because my husband's cousin is the pastor who married us and it was a requirement of his. We were actually pleasantly surprised, though, because we really enjoyed the sessions and they DID help.

madcrazymom
How long have you been married?

Quoting -Strawberry-:

We never did that, I think it's kind of silly. If you need counseling before you get married, then you don't need to be getting married in the first place.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)