Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How serious is Pneumonia?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM
  • 15 Replies
My dad and stepmom are acting like I'm going to die any minute because I have Pneumonia.Bitching that since my doctor "wasn't smart enough" to put me in the hospital,that I should be in bed 24/7 until I'm well.I'm taking my meds like I'm supposed to,but I can't put my life on hold,just because I am coughing and can't breathe.Are they overreacting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Yes, they are....pneumonia can be mild or severe. If it was severe, they would admit you. 

My youngest had it not too long ago and his doc just prescribed him breathing treatments and meds. 

devinsmom42
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Well I've had it exactly 18 times, so far lol. I'm still alive. Its a lot more serious in infants and the elderly and was alot worse yrs ago. I had to be admitted once from having so much fluid on both lungs that I seriously couldn't breathe. Other than that, I'm usually better within the week :). That week does suck tho! P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

If you're healthy it's not that big a deal...except for the fact that once you've had it you become more prone to it later.

It's a big deal if you are immunocompromised(definitely spelled wrong), elderly, an infant. but even when my 6yo had it it wasn't a big deal.

Sanctimommy
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

That depends on how long you had it and the severity of the infection. It also depends on the strain. Is it bacterial, viral, or fungal? Pneumonia has been known to kill its victims when it was not diagnosed in time. 

Personally, I think Jim Henson said it best when he said, "Anyone got an aspirin? I think I have a cold."

- Denis Leary

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

it depends on how bad it is. if you've got walking pnemonia then yeah but if you have a more severe kind maybe not. i've had all variations none are fun but some are worse than others.

When time crashes

PinkyPan
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

You do need your rest, They are over reacting a bit.

m0m23b0ys458
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Thanks ladies!They were starting to worry me a bit.lol.This is my first time having Pneumonia,so I have nothing to compare it to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Being in bed 24/7 is the fastest way I know to DIE of pneumonia!  Rest when you need to.  Drink tons of fluids.  Take your meds.  Follow doctors orders and don't think you're all better the second you start feeling well.  Relapse IS dangerous and it's also flat out ANNOYING!  You can FINALLY do stuff and suddenly you're deathly ill again?  Ugh!  I'd go mad!

So yeah - you're right, they're wrong.  Just follow your body's cues.  And move around as much as you can without overdoing it, even if that just means sitting up in bed a lot! 

TygerLily62
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

If your dr thought you needed to be admitted you would be. I've had it several times and always been sent home with antibiotics and cough medicine with codeine. It's painful and it sucks to have, but I don't have a compromised immune system. Are you with child? Maybe that's why they're freaking out. Otherwise your mom is probably like mine- I lose my voice and she insists that I need to go the emergency room lol. 

Pogostick
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM

no they're not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN