Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am SO happy, WORTH READING Making the best out of BAD situation!!!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM
  • 39 Replies
9 moms liked this

I woke up this morning with this amazing sense of peace and happiness.  I looked over from my chair and saw my husband sleeping peacefully in his hospital bed.  What woke me up was his IV beeping at 7am.  The peace and calmness on his face made me feel how blessed I truly am. 

BackStory:

He was involved in a devastating accident back in July of 2011 and has been in the hospital ever since.  Almost 6 months.  He had a young girl in a car pull out in front of him while he was coming home from work on his motorcycle and hit and run over him with her car.  This whole time I was at home with the kids waiting with sloppy joes and a movie.  I had no idea that my husband was fighting for his life pinned under a car.  When he was late coming home I got really sick to my stomach and I knew something had happened so I loaded up the car and went looking for him.  Even though I knew something was wrong nothing could have prepared me to round the curve and see emergency vehicles EVERYWHERE.  I instantly knew it was him.  I pulled up at the scene and asked if it was him a hospital employee on a motorcycle and they said yes and I lost it and took off.  I headed towards the nearest hospital and I called to make sure he was there and found out that he was 18 miles farther away at a Level 1 Trauma center.  Right then I knew it was bad.  I raced up there and handed my children over to my mother and went to face the reality of my critically injured husband.  He struggled for a long time.  Was sedated, chest tubes, life saving surgery, broken neck, broken back, crushed pelvis, the works.  I knew I was starting the hardest journey of my life.  (I have not had an easy life.)  

He spent 34 days in Surgical Critical Care.  Then we went to a step down unit only for him to go into septic shock and end up BACK in Surgical Critical Care.  I begged them to do something sooner because I knew something was bad wrong.  When they discovered the septic shock his blood pressure was 50/30 and he was not breathing.  While he was fighting for his life in Septic shock I actually saw his parents in the room with us.  I never met either of them but have seen pictures.  They both passed away one in 1993 and the other in 2001 but I knew it was them holding hands praying for my husband and their son.  Sounds crazy but you would have had to have been there.  He spent 55 days on a ventilator.  After returning to SCC he stayed for 21 days this time and then back to the step down unit.  This time he did much better and after 58 days was actually able to tell me he loved me.  We struggled and fought and struggled and fought and ended up back in SCC for a third time because of a full body blood infection.  He did however recover from that round much quicker.  He recently had yet another round with a full body blood infection that they only found because I begged for blood cultures.  I try to tell the doctors that I know this man.  I have only been away from him for 3 nights since this whole terrible chain of events started.  He is now finally getting over infection and starting to push towards rehab.  He has a few very major surgeries coming in the next few months but he has come a very long way.

Now here is why I am happy.

I have my husband.  He didnt make me a widow at age 24.  Our children have their daddy and I know how important that is.  (I lost my dad at age 6)  He is laughing and joking and being himself.  His mental status is exactly the same as before the accident.  I am healthy and so are the kids and my husband is well on his way.  We recently found out that he WILL be able to walk again and should be able to do everything else eventually.  I have such a feeling of peace that sweeps over me knowing that I am doing what I need to do to help him and me.  I have pushed him when he needed it and been the shoulder to cry on. 

They say God doesnt give you more then you can handle......At the beginning I thought that was the biggest bunch of crap I had ever heard.....  I couldnt have handled all this the way I was then.  God made me stronger...  I can now handle this because I am a strong beautiful woman and I have God on my side.  My husband WILL recover and we will be a stronger family because of this. 

Thanks for reading, just wanted to share.  This feeling I have is very hard to explain but I wanted to try to share.  God bless you all.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I'm glad everything is getting better and I hope he continues to improve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I love your attitude! I hope and pray that he continues to recover and that he is soon home with your family.

OrionsMyBabyman
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM
This made me cry mama. You are a very strong woman and I'm so glad you are able to focus on all the positives. Your family is very lucky to have you. I hope everything continues to improve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nneka02
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
And bless u 2 swthrt. Ur faith will see u through. We are praying for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Carter.07
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM
orionsmybabyman pretty much said word for word what I was gonna say. You are such a strong women. I know your an amazing wife and mother from reading this post.. Prayers going up.

Quoting OrionsMyBabyman:

This made me cry mama. You are a very strong woman and I'm so glad you are able to focus on all the positives. Your family is very lucky to have you. I hope everything continues to improve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wifeandmomof2.5
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Thank you all so very much.  It is so easy to get caught up in the bad that you forget about the good.  They say no matter how bad your situation is it could always be worse.  I just so happen to know that first hand.  He is doing wonderful and we are continuing to push together.  He makes me strong. 

Bird16_J
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM

That is so awesome to hear! I'm so glad that he's going to be ok! And I hope the girl that did this gets into a whole heap of trouble for it! Glad that everything is on track and going good though!

CafeMom Tickers
1likeme
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM
This made me cry. I am so happy for your family that he has turned the corner and I hope he recovers fully.
CrystalPystol
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Keep praying, believing, and,praising! Thank you for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I hope he continues to heal and is able to go home soon. You are a very strong person and have a great attitude

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)