Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What's the rudest unsolicited advice you've gotten about parenting?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I realize that being a mom guarantees you lots of "advice" from people that you don't know, but it seems like every day, strangers get more bold! What is the rudest advice you've gotten?

As for me;
1) The young woman who recently told me that I was being "disgusting" for giving my son a bottle at room temperature,
2) The older lady who actually reached out and ripped the fleecy cover off the baby carrier because "he's got to be too warm!"
3) The checkout cashier who told be I needed to be "better prepared" because I wasn't giving a bottle to my baby, even though he actually had a full belly and was only fussing because he was restless and sick of being in his carrier.

It's kind of a tie. And I wish those were the only stories!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
lga1965
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jltplk25:

My mom told me I needed to wean my son when he was 8 months old be because he had teeth.

My stepmom told me I needed to take care of my own child. This isn't bad advice except that SHE pawns the babies off on the oldest girls to care for them 24/7. I was only visiting and asked my sister to change a diaper. I've been paranoid about asking for help since then. :-/

I've had a cashier tell me I should probably head home since it was obvious my lo was ready for a nap. No shit Sherlock.

I haven't had anyome advise me about my kids. But ,you know, when I am shopping and I see that someone's kid is crying uncontrollably,it usually means he is hungry or tired and needs to be home taking a nap but his Mom doesn't seem to know that. I wouldn't tell you in a store,but I would want to tell you that your kid needs a nap. Kids hate to go shopping with Mommy when they are hungry or tired, usually both. They are miserable and unhappy in that shopping cart, tears running down their flushed faces,and want their Mommy to know ....but she just keeps on shopping and pretending the kid is okay.I took my kids shopping AFTER they had lunch and had a good nap and they were really happy kids who didn't have meltdowns in the stores. Just a little good advice for you to think about so that your kids are happy. :-)

babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM
My mil telling me i should not have anymore kids because in her opinion i cant handle the one child i have. she based that off nothing too i never complain about being a mom i know im a great mom. shes just so mean. good job idgaf about what she thinks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM
My mil telling me i should not have anymore kids because in her opinion i cant handle the one child i have. she based that off nothing too i never complain about being a mom i know im a great mom. shes just so mean. good job idgaf about what she thinks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DaiTilley
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Seems like breastfeeding is a really hot-button issue with just about everyone... Plenty of people told me I was making it "harder than it has to be" by exclusively breastfeeding, and when (for medical reasons) we had to start with formula, the same number of people told me that his growth would be stunted, he wouldn't love me as much, etc...

Quoting WendyJR:

My "friends" that suggested, that at 8 months old I should start weaning my dd from breast feeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alilsmartass
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Idk, I tune assholes out!

ack86
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM
The only thing I really have is my OB telling me I should get my tubes tied when I came in pregnant with our third. I'm only 25, and there's a chance we might want another baby later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
What? Two week olds? People are idiots!

Quoting srbeusk:

Oh... That I should let my 2 week old baby just cry instead of picking them up. (was told to me about my son and my daughter)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
youngashleyd
1 mom liked this

That I needed to put socks and a hat on my 3 month old.

It was 80 degrees outside, but we were in their freezing bank. 

my advice, turn down your ac...

DaiTilley
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Haha! When I got to the point of my pregnancy that I had to take off my wedding set, I joked with my husband that people would make all kinds of assumptions when they saw us out together, what with him walking around wearing a wedding band, holding hands with an ever-so-pregnant girl that looks so young!

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

The only time I think i've ever gotten 'the look' was when I took DS in for his first appt. My mom came with me because she wanted to, and my sons dad couldn't because he couldn't get out of work. I swear people thought I NEEDED my mom to drive me because I was too young to have my license yet haha.

...Shortly after that I chopped half my hair off and gave myself a "mom cut" which upped my appearance-of-age by a few years.

Quoting DaiTilley:

I'm 25, and had a woman at a store ask "now, is this your little brother? Or little sister?" When I told her "My son, actually," she gave me the most disapproving look. I realize I look young, but how young did she actually think I was!?

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

that I "needed to get rid of it."

but I guess that was more towards the pregnancy and not parenting? hmmm. i dont think anyones really gotten on my back about my parenting. which is really surprising to me because i look young and a lot of times I would take my DS and the baby I nannied to the store for some little things and being that I was like 20/21 when I did that...haha. IDK. From all the horror stories I hear about, I'm really surprised nobodys ever stopped me to put me down or muttered anything under their breath while passing me...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM

What the heck is a "mom cut" ?

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

The only time I think i've ever gotten 'the look' was when I took DS in for his first appt. My mom came with me because she wanted to, and my sons dad couldn't because he couldn't get out of work. I swear people thought I NEEDED my mom to drive me because I was too young to have my license yet haha.

...Shortly after that I chopped half my hair off and gave myself a "mom cut" which upped my appearance-of-age by a few years.

Quoting DaiTilley:

I'm 25, and had a woman at a store ask "now, is this your little brother? Or little sister?" When I told her "My son, actually," she gave me the most disapproving look. I realize I look young, but how young did she actually think I was!?

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

that I "needed to get rid of it."

but I guess that was more towards the pregnancy and not parenting? hmmm. i dont think anyones really gotten on my back about my parenting. which is really surprising to me because i look young and a lot of times I would take my DS and the baby I nannied to the store for some little things and being that I was like 20/21 when I did that...haha. IDK. From all the horror stories I hear about, I'm really surprised nobodys ever stopped me to put me down or muttered anything under their breath while passing me...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN