Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

SOAP ACTOR Commits Suicide After Euthanizing Beloved Dog

SOAP ACTOR Commits Suicide AfterEuthanizing Beloved Dog

0128_nick_BN_01
A soap actor killed himself this week on his 47th birthday ... hours after he was forced to put his beloved dog to sleep under pressure from his Manhattan condo.

According to the NY Post the building had a ban on pit-bulls, but Nick Santino's dog had been grandfathered in ... which didn't sit well will some of the neighbors.  Some claimed the dog was loud and aggressive, but others said building management was just harassing Santino ... trying to force him to get rid of the dog.

Santino had Rocco put to sleep on Tuesday -- for some reason he felt that was his only option.

According to the paper, a tearful Santino went to the doorman and said, "Give these to the other dogs.  Rocco is no more."

Later that day Santino left a suicide note that read, "Today I betrayed my best friend and put down my best friend ... Rocco trusted me and I failed him. He didn’t deserve this."

Santino -- who has appeared on "All My Children" and "The Guiding Light" -- OD'd on pills early the next morning.

Rocco was cremated and friends told the Post Santino will be too.

by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Replies (131-137):
Aislin
by MoJo on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I'm not sure what is sadder, that poor man being harassed to the point he was or the sheer ignorance of his harassers and their supporters. RIP Rocco and Rick

southernjess3
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM

as sad as this story is, i will kinda bash. he did NOT have to kill his dog, or himself. he could have found him another happy home, and visited him all the time. instead he had an unill dog killed. i didnt even know you could do that. then he killed himself. they both died for nothing, poor things. but DAMN.

Quoting HouseMa:

I can't wait to see the bashing for this poor man AND his breed of dog.

My heart breaks for him...and his dog.  The ignorance of the masses is sad....and most of the masses reside in this very room.

danandsamsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM

He also had an engineering degree and an MBA in finance.  I suspect that he could have found employement to finance a move...even in this economy engineering degrees are in demand.  I suspect that he had a lot of other underlying issues.

Quoting SophistiSlut:

Manhattan is a very expensive area to live in. The COL is extremely high in New York. He probably would've saved money moving somewhere else anyway.

I'm not judging the guy, I just wish things could have been different for him and suggested ways it could have.

Quoting HouseMa:

He was a down on his luck actor.  He probably had very little to no money...would you have volunteered to write him a cheque for first and last months rent?  Bought his groceries, food for his dog?  Paid his rent every month? 

Quoting SophistiSlut:

Do I think his suicide was unnecessary, and do I think he took things to an unnecessary extreme? Yes. Do I think he could have avoided this all and just moved to another city? Yes.

That being said... how terribly sad.

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM
I'm lmao because as i'm reading this my 2 & 3 y/o dd's are playing tea party with our pit. And while i'm sure this isn't his idea of a good time, he know when he's had enough, and to go lay in his room. He has never once snapped at my children. They also know to respect him, & his space.

Quoting Zangrilli:

I wholeheartedly disagree.  It doesn't matter who raises a Pitt (or a Rott, Doberman, etc).  These dogs have basic instincts.  When they kick in, these dogs have the propensity to kill.  You go ahead and let your babies and your dogs near these dogs, I will never do that - my toddlers and my English Bulldog will never be exposed to these breeds.  I think it's pretty much common sense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zangrilli
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

LOL - to each his own!

Moms2NTwins
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I guess he felt he had no choice, how could he trust a stranger with his dog and he probably knew shelters would not take him. He felt he did what he had to do then the guilt consumed him...that is just so sad :o(

Zangrilli
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Mia, I don't think it's right to call someone ignorant just because she disagrees with you.  I'm an extremely intelligent person, and I've owned dogs my entire life.  There are certain breeds that can kill when they attack, you cannot argue that.  It's a fact.  Period.  You can choose to let your children and dogs near these breeds, I will not.  I have seen Pitts, Rotts and Shepherds at dog runs in NYC suddenly snap and visciously attack dogs.  I have witnessed a "nice" Doberman put my English Bulldog in a jawlock simply because my dog was near his tennis ball.   Other dogs may attack, but last time I checked, Yorkies didn't maul children or other animals.  There's a reason condo boards deny certain breeds - statistics.  I disagree with you, but I'm too good a person to call you ignorant simply because your opinion differs from mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)