Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If God Doesn't Give Us More Than We Can Handle...

Posted by   + Show Post

then why are there suicides? Nervous Breakdowns? Homelessness? Etc ... 

I'm NOT here to bash God. I'm here to say that some people have a LOT more than they can handle, and saying that God doesn't give us more than we can handle is a cop out only stated by people who have not experienced that most of us have a lot more than we can handle at some point in our lives. 

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
huntersmama711
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM
If Gid doesn't give you more than you can handle then why are we sometimes put in impossible situations? Why is it that babies and children have to be hurt, sick or die? Why do the parents have to go thru the pain of seeing their baby be buried? I know faith helps some people thru it but it also makes some turn their back on God. I certainly don't believe in the whole karma theory. I can see it being karma if all the bad stuff was happening directly to you but to make you suffer watching your child suffer? Nope, not buying it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilayframe
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats the thing..how do we know God put them on this path? Satan is just as capable of doing it.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

You think that nobody who has ever committed suicide, or suffered a nervous breakdown, or suddenly become homeless, has ever "turned to God" while they were headed down that dark road? 

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  And I'm pretty sure it was still more than they could handle.

Quoting madcrazymom:

It's he does give you more than you can handle TOGETHER..... so I'm pretty sure if these people you speak of in op didn't turn to god in their times of need.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyFreeRider
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM
I have been thru some pretty horrible things & I have seen family & friends that have gone thru horrible things. I have yet to meet someone that couldnt handle the burdens that have been laid upon them unless they just didnt want to try because they thought it was to much. I believe that if we make the right choices (& by right I mean the best choices even if they hurt) then we CAN overcome any burden. Some people would think that what I went thru as a preteen would be grounds for suicide. But I overcame that & altho I will never be able to forgive, I have let go of the hate because I saw how badly it was poisoning my brother (who went thru the same thing & the hate & anger were consuming him). Since I did that I have been able to live a life of peace. My friend & cousin went thru a horrible time. Neither of them reverted to drugs or suicide. To me the drugs, alcohol & suicide are the cop-outs. We ARE stronger than that, whether it is from God or from our own hearts. If we try, we can perservere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Piskie
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting madcrazymom:

Then she didn't have faith.... and you must remember with god comes the devil and she is very powerful and convincing when she wants to be.

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting madcrazymom:

It's he does give you more than you can handle TOGETHER..... so I'm pretty sure if these people you speak of in op didn't turn to god in their times of need.

How do you know?

When I was in switzerland a woman killed herself... she was a devout christian, very much born again and all the rest. She had three developmentally delayed children and her husband killed himself 6 months prior. She barely left the church but it was simply too much.

How dare you. She had plenty of faith, she was a wonderful woman and life was cruel to her. She never abandoned her faith, and you've no right to say that. If you believe that belief is all you need... then you've had a very simple life.

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
The devil is female?

Quoting madcrazymom:

Then she didn't have faith.... and you must remember with god comes the devil and she is very powerful and convincing when she wants to be.

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting madcrazymom:

How do you know?

When I was in switzerland a woman killed herself... she was a devout christian, very much born again and all the rest. She had three developmentally delayed children and her husband killed himself 6 months prior. She barely left the church but it was simply too much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rlk121909
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM
He doesn't. Suicides IMO are the easy way out so you don't have to deal with the issues. Mental breakdowns happen because people bottle problems up instead of facing them. Most homeless people I've talked to will admit its their fault there on the street, by poor money management, drugs, etc. but no matter the situation god will be your shoulder to cry on and with his help you will make it through. I'm speaking as someone who suffered. My dad wanted nothing to do with me my whole life and made that clear. My mom was verbally abusive and would cuss me out and call me a slut constantly since I was 10. She stayed with a man who would yell at me and my sis and make fun of us and actually punched my sister in the face. When I left all that It was to be with someone who was abusive verbally mentally and physically. He would force sex by saying horrible things like he'd go fuck my friends cuz there better than me and prettier than me. He'd get drunk almost every night and either choke me or smother me with a pillow till I almost passed out. At the time I wished I would die but now I look back and see that I went through all that to make me who I am today. It made me a better wife and mother and I see god was always there. But I was thick headed and wouldn't leave the situation at first. People have free will so god will try but its ultimately our decision if we cave to it or go with god to a better life

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mackQuin
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I was always told that God gives us more than we can handle so we can put our faith in him and give it to him.

I have never been taught that God never gives us more than we can handle. I know many people are taught that though.

MomTiara19
by Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Hi,I get what you are saying.

I have been there and have felt that.

I am one of those people who have been to hell and back and survived....only to go to a worse hell and survive again....lol...

I am 44 and I feel I have experienced and seen way to much than I care to mention.

I am a strong believer in Christ.....sometimes I would ask him your same questions ....quite simply........why?

My answer is simple....you have to go to God and not people for spiritual strength and guidance.

If you look to man to help you ....you may get let down or misguided.

You have to pray,pray,pray.....believe and have faith in what you cant see....in a hope you fear is hopeless.

Even when you are all alone....in your deepest darkest hour....yell to God.....he hears you and is there.

Unfortunately God gives you free will.....you can make the choice to commit suicide,kill,sin,and simply disbelieve.

God never promises your life will not have problems.....he promises you that with him you will overcome anything.

God is my main man.....just believe.....ask and you will receive....and watch it rain miracles.

I wish I could reach in my pocket and hand you faith.

Just have faith.

A survivor and daughter of Christ,

~Tia

AnnieMcD
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM

What a terribly shitty thing to say. Seriously. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

Quoting madcrazymom:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting madcrazymom:

How do you know?

madcrazymom
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM
You are wrong. Because if she had been faithful she wouldn't have committed the ultimate sin against god. She would have had faith he would help her. Plain and simple. And ni the way, I lost two daughters within months of each other, I've been to hell and back, sat with a loaded gun in my hands and had god show up. So don't blast me with you I know everything Crap.

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting madcrazymom:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting madcrazymom:

How do you know?

How dare you. She had plenty of faith, she was a wonderful woman and life was cruel to her. She never abandoned her faith, and you've no right to say that. If you believe that belief is all you need... then you've had a very simple life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)