• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Think before you buy!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM
  • 77 Replies
5 moms liked this

I'm spinning off of my repo post.  Just some friendly advice from an ex-repo agent.  As you're getting your lovely tax return money, think long and hard about it before spending it.  If you're thoughts are on buying a new car, think about it, really thinkg about.  Ask yourself, if I couldn't afford a car payment before I got my tax return, do I really think I can afford a car payment after I got my tax return.  If you couldn't do it before, what has changed that you can make that payment every month after?

One of a repo agent's favorite times of year is 3-6 months after tax season ends because the number of repos jumps up really high.  People think "I have this huge tax return I can buy a new car", but don't think about the fact that they'll have to be able to afford that payment to keep that car later on down the road, when that tax money runs out.

I'm not saying don't buy a new car.  I'm saying think about it and make a good decision financially.  A repoed car on your credit isn't a good thing and can make it difficult to buy a new car later.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaylinsmom1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM
3 moms liked this

GREAT ADVICE! I did however get a car but I bought it used and I have NO PAYMENTS!!! Its a 99 buick park ave with 1 prior owner...Even has HEATED SEATS lol I love it and am so happy its mine with no payments hanging over my head! Here is a pic not bad for $2400 right :)

jkleinman
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Not bad at all and the smart way to do it.  A friend of mine was at a dealership with a friend of his tonight helping him buy a new car.  He said the dealership was insanely busy and he couldn't figure out why.  As soon as I said it's tax season, all he could say was, well that makes sense.

Quoting jaylinsmom1:

GREAT ADVICE! I did however get a car but I bought it used and I have NO PAYMENTS!!! Its a 99 buick park ave with 1 prior owner...Even has HEATED SEATS lol I love it and am so happy its mine with no payments hanging over my head! Here is a pic not bad for $2400 right :)

jaylinsmom1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Yea the dealership I went to said he sold alot the last week. I couldnt imagine having to pay for a car note every month. I got a great deal on this one tho. It has alot of nice features too...im 13 years older than this car and I swear its smarter than me lol. This is my 4th car (3 in the last 3 months) and I pay for them all with Cash. If I cant afford it today I dont buy it. 

Quoting jkleinman:

Not bad at all and the smart way to do it.  A friend of mine was at a dealership with a friend of his tonight helping him buy a new car.  He said the dealership was insanely busy and he couldn't figure out why.  As soon as I said it's tax season, all he could say was, well that makes sense.

Quoting jaylinsmom1:

StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:43 AM
I'm about to buy a car, but not caue of tax money we haven't even done taxes. I always pay my debts and loans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I'm paying off debt. lol. No buying stuff for me. :)

JenW777
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never had a car payment in my life, and never will.  If I can't afford to pay for it all at once then I don't need it, now do I? 

A used car that doesn't have payments is worth a lot more to me (no stress worrying about how I'll pay for it) than a brand new car that I won't offically own for 4-6 years.

kris_81
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Our car will be paid for in Sept then we are buying another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jkleinman
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Plenty of smart ladies in here.  :)

Travelagtmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM
3 moms liked this
I have been saying this...nobody listens lol. Instant gratification syndrome.
jkleinman
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Pretty much.

Quoting Travelagtmom:

I have been saying this...nobody listens lol. Instant gratification syndrome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)