Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you potty train a stubborn child? UPDATE

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:36 AM
  • 30 Replies
My oldest was potty trained at 2y 8m. Put some undies on him and never an accident except a couple times with a tummy bug where he just couldn't make it to the toilet. My 2nd is 3y 3m and refuses. He knows where to go and when he needs to go, but just refuses. Even with undies on, he'll just pee and poop in them. I have tried stickers and praise, but he lost interest after about 2 weeks or so. I try taking him in and reminding him but nope. UPDATE: So the last few nights he's been waking me up to take him to the bathroom, but still peeing in his pull up all day. So, I guess he is backwards, dry at night, accidents during day. Today however, he decided to wear underwear. He put them on about 730am and it is now 630pm and still no accidents. YAY!! He goes back to preschool tomorrow, so let's hope for the best. And, my 21 month old is showing begining signs of wanting to potty train. If this continues, we can be diaper free by the end of the year!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowgirls10181
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:43 AM
I did that, you have to be more stubborn!

Took up 4 weeks in undies every day all day. If dd would stay dry and clea she ould do big girl things lik play outside with her brothe, o visit our aunt, or even go to the store n pick up a drink. If dirty sye sttayd home with her daddy or me. Many accidents but we cleaned up the messshe is now dry n clean all day with random night time accidents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hildegarde
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:47 AM
I could have written this post 6 months ago. My stubborn 2nd son is now potty trained. It really is a battle of wills at some point. It isn't a lack of education, it's a lack of motivation you know that. He sounds very smart. What worked for us was we stopped askIng and started putting him on the potty every hour, if he wet or pooped in his pants he lost them, he got them back when he peed or pooped in the right place. We didn't make a big deal out of accidents, but we made a huge deal when he went in the right place. We stopped using pull ups except for naps and bed and said this is life, we all took turns going to the potty with him and having him show us where to go and what to do next, it didn't take long.
Earth_Mama90
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:07 AM
My dd took awhile she was just lazy. We wrapped a present up put it by the toilet and told her every time she pees she puts a star on the chart every time she poops she puts a special sticker on the chart. If she does both every day and fills up the whole chart she gets to open her gift. We kept the chart in the bathroom too. It really worked
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Leaving him in underwear all day would only work on the weekends. He is in daycare, and when he has an accident, they don't rinse it out or even flush the poop. They wrap it all up and leave it to sit all day. I have had to throw away a few pairs because of that. 

As for the present, the baby would open it. He is 21months. 

I may try the every hour thing, but the daycare needs to be on track with me. I even printed out sticker charts for every kid who was potty training and bought stickers just for the daycare to use for potty training. They used it less than a week. 

I will keep trying though. Thanks for the advice so far!!!

starmoonmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I would wait, he does not sound ready.

ramonafrog
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Sadly if your kid is in daycare it will probably take longer. (I know, bring on the bashing). Especially if it's taken this long so far. It seems like maybe someone at the daycare is a little less enthusiastic about doing their job than they should be.

*disclaimer: the above statements are purely my opinion. I'm not anti-daycare. But I am anti-lazy daycare workers who hate their jobs and kids.

Quoting krystlzd3:

Leaving him in underwear all day would only work on the weekends. He is in daycare, and when he has an accident, they don't rinse it out or even flush the poop. They wrap it all up and leave it to sit all day. I have had to throw away a few pairs because of that. 

I may try the every hour thing, but the daycare needs to be on track with me. I even printed out sticker charts for every kid who was potty training and bought stickers just for the daycare to use for potty training. They used it less than a week. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1. Find a new daycare
2. Wait until he's ready. To me, he doesn't sound ready. Or maybe find something more important to him than stickers, praise, or gifts. Is there something he wants to do, like go to the zoo or aquarium or something? Or start a sport or activity? If he isn't old enough to use a toilet, then tell him he's not old enough to do whatever it is he really wants. That's how I got potty trained in a day.. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wittyscreenname
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Bump, 'cause I'd like some help too. My dd is 2.5 and she knows where to go and knows WHEN she does, but she flat out refuses to sit on the potty.

robsgurl_23
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM

my youngest was that way and she was fully potty trained at about 4 years old..rewards didng really work for her and she fnally had to use the potty when I forgot pull ups when we went camping the summer she turned 4. she has had a lot of accidents and wetting the bed since she was potty trained but she has not had any accidents in a long time. Just keep working on it.

MicheleJM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting krystlzd3:

If the daycare isn't on track with you then you could always put him in pullups and back off for a while...say a couple of weeks, then try again.  I got my younger ds trained by using underwear, but the school he went to worked with me on it.  He was almost four though. If you are not careful your ds could wind up holding his bowels and developing a constipation issue.  That happened with ds and it was hell on earth.  He'd hold as a form of control. Then I had to give him Miralax and work with him to go in the potty all over again. Put the potty in the bathroom, leave it there and see if he'll use it on his own for a while.  Then try again in 2-3 weeks.  My older ds decided on his own to wear underwear because he saw other kids in the daycare do it.  Maybe the daycare can take him with the other kids so he can see them do their business in the toilet and the underwear they wear, but not force him to do anything.  What you don't want to do is get into a power play with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)