• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It really makes you wonder.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm taking a class right now on the history of Chicano (Mexican) labor. Right now we're focused on the Southwest and Arizona in particular. We learned that there was a dual-wage system in place for several generations where Mexican miners would be paid half or less than half of what white/American workers were paid, even though the Mexicans had been miners for generations and often had to train their American coworkers. The struggle to unionize was long and bloody but after the Great Depression, the dual-wage system was abolished and Mexicans given benefits and equal pay. After that, Mexicans were educated and elected to public office, employed as teachers, doctors and lawyers.

All of this was between the 1950s to the 1980s. It just makes you wonder how in less than 40 years, they went from being the first state to abolish the dual-wage system and starting to educate Mexicans to a complete black list of some of the most important and most beautifully written Chicano literature that has ever been published. It's sad, really.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwayskk
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Whaaaaat?! You don't say!

alwayskk
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM

What are your thoughts ladies? I am thinking about writing my current events report on the banning of Chicano literature from AZ public schools. Inspire me?

alwayskk
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Lol, that was funny.  :) I love your humor.

Quoting alwayskk:

TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM

People are still saying that racism doesn't exist as well.  It must be nice having such a sheltered life that you can live in complete ignorance.

Katherine696997
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Quoting alwayskk:

do11face
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

It is sad. : /

CanInTex
I'll admit, im not all up on American history so I can't give any insight to your current event paper.

That's really interesting though. I had no clue. It's shocking to me that that carried on until 1980! I honestly am unsure of how I feel about illegal aliens and what Arizona is doing. I think they could execute it in better ways but I have no suggestions.

It's odd to me though that Arizona is so quick to write off obviously an important part of their history.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasbabies77
I say I'm too tired to read and think right now..I'll get back to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nazgor
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Bump. I want to respond to this but I have to get to my classes for the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)